LICE!

How have you gotten rid of it? Do you use the RID/NIX/ OFFBRAND, or do you use a home remedy?

Mblessesd4x

Asked by Mblessesd4x at 12:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• The oldest remedy was to wash hair with gas. This was back in the 30's. Now the have have kits that you can buy.
    naunny63

Answer by naunny63 at 12:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I tried Rid and they came back. I bought a different herbal lice treatment instead (sea salt, anise and something else in a gel) and it worked. I've heard hair dye or mayonnaise also work. Basically, you just need to suffocate the little buggers for about 30 min. then use something to loosen up the gluey eggs so they come out - so anything that coats your hair and can stay on that long with a shower cap should do the trick.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have use several remedies on myself. You also need to wash everything that can be washed and over dry it b/c the heat will kill the lice and the eggs. and bag anything that can't be washed for 30 days. I wish you luck b/c this isn't fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• When a store brand did not work mom uses a small amount of gas to get them off.
    naunny63

Answer by naunny63 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I use the over the counter stuff at Wally world. The hair treatment isnt the only issue though. Those suckers will jump off the hair onto furniture and bedding. So even if you treat your hair itll get reinfested. My kids came home with it (little girl on the bus moms didnt speak English and didnt treat her for a month). They had it 3xs in a month. I had to do their hair, wash all the bedding, put all stuffed animals in trash bags in the closet for a month, I steam cleaned the carpets and furniture and blached and washed in hot water whatever I could. I had to get rid of all hair brushes and all that. Lice is a real pain.

Answer by gemgem at 12:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• people usually forget that whatever cannot fit in the washer/dryer needs to be sprayed down!!! Right down to the carseats if need be!!! My middle son is in school but still fits into the carseat so we just hope he isn't embarrassed? Anyhow, EVERYTHING not just the child needs to be treated, included those that live in your home, and check kids coming in that maybe you babysit...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My kids dont have it, I just was wondering what yall use. LOL
    Mblessesd4x

Comment by Mblessesd4x (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Rid and other such products are pesticides, really think before using them. We battled this almost 2 years ago and tea tree oil was the best! Lice hate it, however, the key to getting rid of them is to go through the hair, almost strand by strand every day for a week, be sure every last nit is gone. Of couse, vacuuming furniture and the car, bagging stuffed animals, washing bedding and clothes and checking other family members is all essential.

Shelley
    www.LiveYourDreamsAtHome.com
    wahmx3

Answer by wahmx3 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I used baby oil and the lice comb (cvs brand!) it got ALL of them out, and ofcourse washed and vaccumed everything i could get my paws on. if she wasn't so scared of the vaccuum i would have used that on her hair for extra precaution LOLOL!!!!!!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It took us 4 months to get rid of them last year! My daughters had to be on an oral medication and we had to repeat the prescription cream weekly. Every day I had to go through their hair by hand and handpick out any lice or eggs. The eggs, we discovered after so long, were too small to be gotten by the special combs. It was the worst 4 months ever!!! Treating the whole house, hot washing all bedding and clothes. We just threw away all the stuffed animals...It was horrid! All because 2 kids at school kept returning to school with lice!

I just heard on the news the other night that they expect to release a drug later this year that eliminates lice and their eggs in 24 hours with no combing or washing everything, etc. Hallelujah! Although, I hope we never get it again, period.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011