Water for kids

My sister seems to think im a little too strict when it comes to my kids and them drinking juice. I didnt give my kids juice until they were almost 2 and it was only once. My kids drink water all the time & Milk twice a day to get their calcium. I worry about their teeth & sugar & all that so i dont see why the big deal? I give them soda (maybe 3 ounces sometimes like at christmas eve parties) But what really made her go OMG is when my kids are offered soda & they took a few sips & was like, nah i want water. Lots of people are stunned i guess. My kids prefer water over other stuff because of the way it makes them feel. I asked them why they chose it over that and they said it make sthemmore thristy & not feel good. Am I too strict???

Mblessesd4x

Asked by Mblessesd4x at 12:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Water and milk are the only options in our house- soda on special occasions. Unfortunately my son would take the soda over the water anytime!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no they re your kids and now they prefer water. GJ
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 12:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Nah when my kids were toddlers, they chose water or milk over anything. Juice was a treat like soda was.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• my oldest chooses water over any other beverage. i dont see how its strict to care about your kids' heath. good for you for giving them healthy choices.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Good for you! Soda is empty calories.

My son loves his water and milk.

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No - my kids only get water or milk. Juice is a treat. My 10 year old still doesn't like/won't drink soft drinks of any kind.

Answer by missanc at 1:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no your a good mom and doing what you feel is best for your kids and if your children perfer water then who care what others drink it's what your kids want to... you not strick you give them options they just chose not to.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think its a good idea. My Husband always asks...": when can we give her juice!?" and im thinking in my head. as LONG as we possibly can!
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 1:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think 6 months old is too young for juice.. and I will hold off on it as long as I can.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 1:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no. there's really no need to give juice. Once they are a year old, it's fine to give orange juice or 100% whole juice, for a variety. But if your child can eat fruits, juice isn't even necessary. My son doesn't drink juice at all. He likes water, milk, and occasionally a soda (special treat). My son eats a varitey of fruits instead.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011