When did you start calling the baby by their name?

I never understood it before I had kids how people would always talk about "the baby" and never say the baby's name. Now that I have a 3+ month old, I hardly ever say his name. I have to tell myself to use it. I always say "the baby."

So, when did you start calling your little one by their actual name?

sukinova

Asked by sukinova at 12:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I call my daughter by her name half the time, I refer to her as Joslyn, sometimes "the baby".. the other times I call her, and yes, I'm a bit corny, but.. Wittle Girl/Baby, Fat Girl, Mamas, Baby Sister, Stanky Mama, or My Gal. With my son, I hardly ever called him by or referred to him by his name. He was The Fat Man until he was about 9 months old.. poor kid, lol.. and it wasn't because he was a chunky one or anything. I just thought it was cute. He's 2 1/2 now, and I sometimes sill call him Fatta or Fat Butt.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 12:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I do it now......My hubby calls her "the girl" which is so impersonal but it happens !!!
    Anonymous

• JDanes, my daughter is a Jossalyn too! GAH! There's like nobody else on here with one! xD

I'm still pregnant, and I've called her by her name ever since I found out she was a girl. Is that weird? If she kicks me really hard, I'll go "Oh, Joss kicked me hard!" Or something like that. I think I'm going to have issues with calling her "Baby Girl". I call all little kids baby or baby girl/boy, haha.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• caitxrawks

aww cute! yeah, I didn't get any "rave" reviews over her name, but Iove it, and it fits her. I know only one other, and hers is spelled Jocelyn. I love your spellling by the way. I took forever to send my daughter's birth certificate paperwork in, because I wanted to change the spelling to Josslyn, lol.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 12:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have two girls and my 5month old I call by her name if I am talking about her to people I know but if it is someone that doesnt know them I call her my youngest. At home I call her by her name to her sister and dad. If I am talking to her I call her by her name but I do also have nick names for her and I call her that too.

I would just remeber that she is a person so dont be too casual with her. Plus she needs to know her name early so when you call her she will know your talking to her. ;)
    Anonymous

• i started calling my daughter by her name when we decided on one. That was when I was 7months pregnant. I don't think I"ve heard many moms call their baby, the baby.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Since birth, thats the only way they are going to learn it.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• im still pregnant and we've had the name picked out forever but i still dont call him that i imagine hes going to be "the baby" for a long time
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• We have all different names for her but we have called her her name since she was born.
    Christiansmom17

Answer by Christiansmom17 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• We've referred to him by his name ever since we found out it was a boy but we've always also referred to him as "the baby". It just depends on what comes out first I guess. It'll be like "where's the baby at?" but then sometimes it's "I can't find Izaiah's other sock!". LOL I dunno why.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2008