How would you feel if you lived in a small town as a minority race and are told the local stores don't carry hair products for your race?

They literally told me that they don't cater to the black people that live around here because there are not enough of us. These are not just random stores, these are family dollar and dollar general stores. All I wanted was a jar of hair grease and the rude cashier that was on her cell phone at family dollar at the time got a good cursing out lastnight and got reported today for being on a personal call in the presence of a customer (no the call didn't sound important).

I am also placing calls to both stores corporate offices.
What would you do if you had to drive all over the place to find something you need?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Shopping

• I live in a rural area where there is literally one black person and she is a former coworker, she goes and gets her hair stuff online and if she were spoken to so rudely she would have talked to the manager and just never went back
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I know you think they are predjudice but the fact of the matter is... much like big companies the downsize... it all comes down to business sense!!! If you do not draw a profit for specific products, whether hair care or tpes of cold medacine... if they are not making any money it makes no sense to carry it!!!

I personally live in a big city, Sacramento, and I DO DRIVE ALL OVER, and I keep notes of who carries what, and pass on the info to others that makes it useful to others!!! Like KMart carries the pots to make Tamales.. not Target or WalMart, or many other stores I've been to
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I live in a very small town..i mean tiny..and we have ONE store that sells stuff other than food..and I wokr there lol..i am half black and half white and for my hair I need to use more black products cuz of the roots..and its hell to find anything..

you may just have to suck it up and drive some where else. I have to..walmart is an hour away..

But I would make a complaint about how they handled it. and Family Dollar should carry it..cause i've seen it in there stores..maybe no the brand u specifaclly want..but something.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 1:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• There are certain grocery items (Japanese) that I use that I have to drive 30 miles to get. (And I live in a decent-sized community). The local stores don't carry them because there aren't enough people asking for the products. I understand that, and I either drive or order them online.

That cashier was rude, and I'm glad you contacted the corporate office - but I understand why retailers don't carry certain things; if they don't sell well they lose money by them sitting on their shelves.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Family Dollar? Really? Family Dollar doesn't order things in particular. They get hand me downs from other companies. They aren't required to carry certain products regularly. That's why if there is something you like there, you should buy it all ASAP because it probably won't be there again. Dollar stores don't cater to one or more races.
    But the cashier never should have said that to you. That was ignorant.
    Maybe go to walmart, they sell that stuff. I have seen it at every wal mart.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would probably just buy it online then. It's up to a store if they can or should carry certain products and if they don't think that it would be a profit then most won't carry it, however, if you get together and ask then they might consider it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• order offline. I think what you did was good thinking on your part though. I hope it gets resolved.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The lack of the products wouldn't offend me - it's a business decision.

The way she communicated with you would seriously piss me off though. Even if we are sticking to the business perspective, that was just a baaaaaaad decision.

I am sorry this happened to you, and also sorry you are so isolated. I myself always prefer diversity - not all-white, not all-black, not black-and-white, but DIVERSE, and many ways. Especially economic diversity. I find that diverse neighborhoods are better communities in many ways.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would be pissed to. You did the right thing.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Really? I've been to Walmart in 7 different states and they carry it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011