• In the Spotlight:

Puppy Food

My Beagle is 8 months old. Right now, we feed both pups Blue Buffalo Puppy. It doesn't seem to agree with him at all. He has terrible gas and really loose stools. What brand of puppy food do you feed your pups?

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pets

• one of my dogs eats "natural"? something...it's free of all the crap...wheat free, corn free, gluten free, etc. It helps with doggie allergies.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Mine eat Taste of the Wild. It is grain-free and all life stages. A few other good brands are Wellness, Canidae (all life stages), Solid Gold, Orijen (although it is pretty expensive), Go Natural (all life stages), Now, and TimberWolf. Chicken Soup and Diamond Naturals are okay, too.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My dogs are on Fromm's surf and turf. All three of them do really well on that diet.

You can start mixing in adult food at that age, if it is a good quality kibble diet like anything listed on here so far.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Spottedpony, yes when I spoke to our vet he said some puppies need to go to adult food earlier. He said if switching to a different puppy food doesn't help with the gas and diarrhea, then we may need to put him on adult food. Thank You for answering.
    tracy0812

Comment by tracy0812 (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Have you tried a non grain diet? I feed Orijen now and seems to be helping my dog. Good Luck.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2011