Amniocentisis results

I am wondering how reliable the results are of an amniocentisis when determining if your unborn child has Down's Syndrome?
A friend of mine had the IPS testing done and it came out positive. Now, she has gone ahead to have the amniocentisis performed and they are awaiting the results.
I am just curious as to whether you can have false positive results and still go on to have a healthy baby? If this is your own personal story, could you enlighten me as to what she can expect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• IPS testing has a fairly high "false positive" rate. My understanding is that amnio is very accurate, as they are looking at the chromosomal make-up of the skin cells shed by the infant.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have heard they are pretty accurate. I had a Girlfriend who had an ultrasound.. and it showed that her son could have down syndrome. they measured the baby's neck. Well her husband and her were flipping out about this. My friend cried and cried. Well.. they were advised to do an amnio and they were scared and lost sleep and they had it done. Turns out the results were in and her BABY was FINE no Downs. So she was so aggravated by the fact that she put her pregnancy at risk. But she was glad she did it and she didn't have to worry her baby had a handicap.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 1:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I am hoping that this is the case with my friend. SHe is a great mom to her son but it is definitely an added challenge to raise a child with severe handicaps. I certainly look highly upon those parents who do such a remarkable job of caring for a child with Down's Syndrome. I know, for sure, (as we have talked about it and do know families with developmentally delayed children) that we would love our child no matter what and would choose to keep our baby, not terminate. But, I also know that some people make a difficult choice to not continue with the pregnancy and no judgement should be put on them for that either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I just read that the results of an amnio are 99.8% reliable so I guess whatever they find out in a couple of weeks, they can be pretty sure that what they are told is most likely accurate.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I dealt with the same thing last october. The doctor told me my baby had 1/67 chance of having DS. I'm 23 and no history of any disorders in my family, so I really freaked. It was by far the worst 3 weeks of my life waiting for the level 2 u/s. The doctor didn't find any markers for DS on my U/S and doubled my risk factor to 1/134. But to me, that wasn't good enough so I had the amniocentesis done and everything came back normal. The results are 99% accurate so it definitely put my mind at ease and allowed me to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy. I'm so glad I did it. Good luck to your friend!
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thank you, Kelli. I am hoping that the baby is okay. She won't know for a couple of weeks yet. She just had her amnio a couple of days ago.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Can she get the FISH results? Those results are 95-98% accurate and you can get them back in a couple days instead of weeks.
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• She has one week left to await the results. They are just preparing for whatever happens and just be grateful for a baby.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011