Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Where can I find a pro bono attorney in Pennsylvania?

I need an attorney licenced to take appeals to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court? It seems that my specific county has one choice only, the public defender!
I had an incompetent attorney for my DS, who was dishonest and not licenced for the area he undertook to practice on his behalf in!
My son has been adjudicated delinquent for a crime he did not commit, because the attorney said his only choice was to plead guilty to get a consent decree!
I never had a chance to prepare his defence as it was supposed to be a conference, not a hearing and disposition, and I have new evidence that proves my now 13 yr old son's bipolar is due to physiological deficits of his brain, he is not capable of being delinquent, nor of having intent, and his behaviors are a direct result of his disabilities. He did not commit the crime! But he said he did because he blurts out irrational fantasies that he is unable to control due to major problems with the frontal lobe and executive functioning.
Executive function deficits cut across many domains and impact all arenas of life—both academic and non-academic. Executive function deficits affect the child’s ability to organize, strategize, and plan, among other things. This is only one area of his deficit's!
You would be shocked to know the whole story of how he arrived at having this legal issue in the first place! Let's just say, the school district were the initial problem! There's not enough room here! Time is fast running out and the public defender won't return my calls! Please if anyone knows who can help me? To prove my child's innocence, I'd be very grateful! Feel free to email me also. TY.

Answer Question

Asked by DCINPA at 1:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Relationships

Level 3 (24 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • Check the website for the PA Bar Association or ask at a local law school (they often have legal clinics).

    Answer by CraftingMama at 1:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Yes, Google PA bar association and search that website for pro bono help

    Answer by elizabr at 1:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Thank you, but in my county the only option is the public defender, and he won't return my calls! I probably need an out of state attorney who is licenced to practice in PA. I only have about 20 days left in which to file an appeal! I'm afraid a law student won't be able to take an appeal trial to the Supreme Court?

    Comment by DCINPA (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.