how do I break the habit .

I have been doing really well on a diet and lost quite a bit of weight but what I cant cope with is the emotional eating binging !!! If I am stressed or worried or have had a row with my hubby then straight to the "goody"cupboard I go and gorge myself with chocolate bars ,crisps,cake ,you name it and it gets devoured . so how do I get over this b/c I am worried that I will put all the weight back on .How do "normal" guys handle these situations without hitting the cookie jar ?

loulou332

Asked by loulou332 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Relationships

• It's an addiction just like any other: smoking, drugs, alcohol... you just have to force yourself to walk away from it. You have to tackle it like a monster and absolutely will yourself away from the urge. If you can keep it up - the addiction will fade.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• What you need is some new ways to cope with difficult emotions. When you catch yourself having that urge to binge, redirect yourself the same way you would redirect a child and do something healthy instead. Get some exercise, meditate, journal, read a book, call a friend, go run some errands, whatever makes you feel good and distracts you from your temptation. If you practice a new coping skill long enough, it will eventually replace binge eating and become your new knee-jerk reaction to emotional stress.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I exercise but if you aren't able to go for a walk then i would try and do a puzzle or something to take your mind off of it...
    Anonymous

• If you have to eat something make it healthy and an "empty food".
    My comfort food is mushrooms and ranch dressing. They're mainly water. lol
    KlieneMutter

Answer by KlieneMutter at 12:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• First of all, empty out that "goody cupboard"!!! And instead of heading there when you are upset, try journaling instead. Just pour at all that negative energy on paper.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Girl, I get on CafeMom & VENT! lol Someone is always here to listen & join in on the man-bashing : ) But really... all of the above suggestions are great. Especially working out--- it's a really great stress-reliever, plus you'll be doing your body good while you're at it! It's a 2-fer! lol
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 1:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008