Am I wrong to be annoyed? Just wanting to vent!

I own a small store in a small town of about 3,000. I bought the store about 1 year ago. I have changed nothing in the way that the previous owner did business, except that I am actually open when I say I am going to be. A customer that has been coming to the store for years is suddenly demanding that I change the way I do business just for her and her mother.

When I do a special order, I charge at the time of the order. She came in and today (5 days after the date she placed the order) and reamed me for making her pay ahead of time. I explained that special orders have to be paid for when they are ordered, as I cannot always sell a special order to someone else. This was the 2nd time she reamed me over the way that we have always doen business. Even when I explained the reason for having to pre-pay she still was bitching and glaring at me.

Am I wrong to be annoyed? I have never asked someone to change the way they do business just because I want them to do it another way. This is only my second post, so please be kind! LOL

Tawneekitn

Asked by Tawneekitn at 1:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• If I special order something from anyone, I expect to pay upfront. It makes logical business sense to me - I don't mind in the least. That woman is being unreasonable. You are not wrong to be annoyed, she sounds like the kind of customer any business owner would dread having.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No, I think you´re right, it doesn´t make sense to do a custom or special order and not charge for it beforehand.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 1:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No way are you wrong. most businesses do it that way. I worked at a bridal shop and we got stuck a few times. Make her pay in advance and if she doesn't like it she can go elsewhere. u would be lucky if she did. lol good luck and God bless
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 1:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i too would be annoyed. do u have it posted in the open like a sign that states..payment due first. and your reasons. im sorry u have had to deal with this..thats not fun. *hugs*
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You are right. Post it if you haven't but do not change your policy.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You're not wrong. Post the policy and stick to it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You are right what would happen if for some reason she decided not to purchase the order after seeing it ...not like you can resell it!~ stick to your guns girl
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You are not wrong, it's your business and a safe policy to protect yourself from ordering merchandise that then doesn't get picked up.

I would simply tell her that this is store policy and if she doesn't care for the policy she can find elsewhere to purchase those items. And if she can't calm down I'd ask her to leave
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thank you everyone for your posts. I feel much better now. I appreciate your taking the time to answer and let me vent!
    Tawneekitn

Comment by Tawneekitn (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think that it is perfectly reasonable to ask for pre-payment on a special order. Generally a 'special order' is something that you aren't carrying because there is no demand for that item. So if she didn't pay for it when it came in, you would be stuck with it. Don't let her dictate the way you do business. You are doing the right thing.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011