Is crying it out the only way to get my son off the bottle?

My son is 18mos old and i need to get him off the bottle but i'd rather not let him cry it out unless its the only way.

Logan17000

Asked by Logan17000 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You will be fine momma....some times it is the parent who misses the bottle and not the child.

He is 18 months old....gotta go...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I never had an issue with getting mine of the bottle....I just started offering cups with "nipple" type sippys. They sort of took the place.

The nubby brand has the soft silicone type sippys. When he cries for a bottle act dumb and give him a sippy....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It might be if you have always put him to sleep with it. I would rock him or comfort him however you have done it. You could put less and less in the bottle and increase the time you soothe him. Be consistent and create a new bed time routine to do every night.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Start with soft sillicone type sippies..and more forward. sometimes u just have to force it. hes 18 months and thats long enough. My son gave his up at 10 months..slowly decrease how many times a day u give him the bottle..like first start of maybe during the day (avioding around naptime) putting his drink in a sippy..and then the next day..two drinks..and slowly increase it..soon enough he'll be done
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 1:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Hmm, I never had a problem getting my kids off the bottle, it was never a source of comfort...BUT my sons Paci was LOL. Its easy for me to say, just stop altogether, but yea, hard to hear them cry. But I do agree, he's old enough to be off the bottle. Maybe put less and less in it and offer more in sippy cups. If he has to have a bottle to go to sleep, that would be the first one I would take as I like to get the most difficult out of the way first, best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• He only takes it at bedtime but i guess he'll jus have to cry
    Logan17000

Comment by Logan17000 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011