How can i tell if my baby is head down without ultrasound?

I am 39 weeks and my midwife said she's 100% sure the baby is head down. I can hardly believe it because I had a c-section with my first for being breech and this one was too, until now...but its just so hard to believe...what are the signs that the baby is head down?

amberpatterson

Asked by amberpatterson at 1:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Her experienced hands can palpate and feel body parts.
    And you can do Belly Mapping on your own.

But remember that most breech babies are safely born vaginally. Even if yours *is* breech you can deliver naturally, avoiding unnecessary risks that come with a surgical delivery.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• your mid wife can feel for the head. and that can tell you if its head-down
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• well you can kinda feel the baby's shape in there... towards the end I could tell my kids were head down because of where the hands and feet were moving inside, the fact that I could feel there butt at the top of my belly, and in the last few weeks I could feel the hardness of the head down low. lay kinda on your back, not too long or too much since that isn't good right now, but enough that you can try and feel it. also pay attention to the movement... congrats on the baby!!
    Mrs.KV

Answer by Mrs.KV at 1:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• the butt and head can feel so similar, it's really hard.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• They can feel the skull when they check ur cervix..and yea they can tell the difference between the butt and the head..the head is harder..

if u dont trust her..request an ultrasound..if ur having a C Section again why does it matter?
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 1:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I do trust her. It's just hard to believe. She has not done a cervical check, and no where did I say I am having a C-section. I am having a planned Homebirth.
    amberpatterson

Comment by amberpatterson (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Midwives and OBs are trained in determining the position of the baby by palpation... the way my doctor described it to me, the baby's head can be 'wiggled' and the baby's bum cannot. There are other indications used to back this up, like where the heartbeat is located.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You did say you'd done it in the past~ this was the reference.

"hardly believe it because I had a c-section with my first for being breech and this one was too"
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• meaning this baby was breech too
    amberpatterson

Comment by amberpatterson (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Right!
    ;-)
    I do understand~ just pointing out that you can know that whatever baby's position is, you don't have to do what you'd done before.
    If baby is breech you can still have your vaginal home birth.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011