If you're overweight, even if you don't lose weight, isn't it better to maintain that weight rather than to gain weight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• it is much better to maintain the weight rather than gain, the more you gain the more difficult it becomes to loose it.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 2:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• OP...you just started this question to bash. Why ask such a ridiculously obvious question and get mad and vote everyone down when you get obvious answers? No one left rude or unkind answers. I thought they were all helpful. You obviously are uncomfortable in your own skin and just want to bash everyone else for it. Good luck with that.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• OP don't assume we are all skinny chics, i've battled with being overweight and obese my entire life....no it's not easy but life isn't meant to be easy. It's a choice....do you choose to be as healthy as possible to be there for yours as long as possible no matter how difficult it is or do you choose to just maintain and life a life where you aren't 100% happy with yourself but just not willing to do the work????

I'm a diabetic, I'm 5'1" at at my highest i've been 225. I'm 178 right now at this moment and slipping for 7 years for the sake of taking care of my kids. But my kids deserve better, they deserve a mom who takes care of herself so she can be with them as long as possible and be as active and healthy as possible. No it's not easy, but on Jan 1st of this year I was 191, i'm now 178 and that is something to be proud of
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Whatever, OP. Defensive much? FYI, I'm not a "skinny" chick at all...I have worked my butt off and lost over 60 pounds in the last few years. Maintaining my physique takes a lot of effort on my part. If you don't want to do that, fine, more power to you. But don't act like a bitch when we answer your question honestly. It seems like you want people to tell you how great it is that you've just maintained your overweight body weight. Okay, great, I think I already said that it's better to do that than to continue to gain, but thanks for the votedown anyway.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Not everyone is a "skinny bitch" I am overweight and have been since I had my 4yo. I have fought hard to lose and I know it isn't easy. It sounds to me like you want to justify not trying anymore. I though that the people whose answers you didn't like were great answers.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Well...yeah...kind of a weird question. If I understand you correctly, you're asking if it's better to just be overweight and stay there as opposed to getting fatter and fatter? Sure. With increased obesity come increased health risks, so the move overweight you are, the more risk you will have.
    But it's still better to try to lose the extra weight if possible
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree with vicesix. Of course staying where you are is healthier than gaining more weight. But any excess fat can lead to diabetes, heart disease and so many other things, making losing the weight the healthiest option.

I had gotten so used to not taking as much care of myself in order to take care of the kids, the house, the business, etc....but putting yourself first with eating healthy and exercise ensures you'll be there for those kids for as long as possible, and that you'll have more energy to spend quality time with them NOW and more energy to do all the other responsibilities we have day to day.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's always best yo be a healthy weight but yes of course maintining is better than gaining more.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thanks for the obvious advise to lose the weight. I choose not to. Right? It's so easy to do that no one can imagine why someone chooses to remain overweight. WHATEVER! I have tried several ways, several times, but that is not the issue or the question at hand. If someone, even though they haven't lost weight, has maintained their current weight for four years without gaining any, isn't that still something? Skinny chicks just can't understand!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I guess
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2011