Quick question about keeping things!

We are int he process of moving. I was packing up all my son's school work, starting from when he was in pre-k. My husband told me I should just throw them out because he would have plenty more. I almost cried when he said that, but I decided to keep them all... Am I crazy for keeping every bit of his school work, even if it was just a piece of paper with scribble on it???? I find it very emotionally challenging to let go. I even cried when my mother in law gave away their baby clothes to a stranger, even though they could not fit them anymore...

TamikaJovan

Asked by TamikaJovan at 1:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Pick out a couple of favorites and toss the rest.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I keep all my girls school work and their ages are 6,7and9. I did get rid of baby clothes but kept one of their favorite animals and even a baby blanket, photos. I even have kept all the cards from bdays and holidays and i am glad I did since my grandma is gone and my grandpa and grandma do not send cards anymore. It is what ever you want to keep and do not get rid of them if want to keep and nothing wrong with that.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• agree pick out a few to keep and pitch the rest otherwise your post in a few years might be one calling all of us to dig you out of a MOUNTAIN of paper and projects....probbly not the most graceful way to go since while digging we might have to call the HOARDERS show about you! LOL JK
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was doing the same thing, but I went through and picked out my favorites and threw the rest. The "delicate art work"--spaghetti on construction paper, cereal necklaces, etc. I took pictures of and kept the pics and threw out the art before it started to fall apart. My son is in the 8th grade and all of his school work that I have kept fits into a copier paper box. That is still more than I normally would keep-but he has an IEP and I get tons of paperwork on that every year and it is all in there as well.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 1:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I kept all my girls report card. When I showed them to them when they where adults. They asked why did I save them all. Told me I should have thrown them away.
    It is something you want to do. Your kids will not care.

Answer by louise2 at 2:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I keep things if its painted or made out of constuction paper or is very cute. I get a large pizza boxes where I work and store their stuff for each year. When that year is over I tape it up label it and store it in my closet or under my bed. They don't take up much room they are the right size and shape.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• rebeccadac: LOL LOL LOL at your post. Needless to say I watch hoarders and can not understand why...
    TamikaJovan

Comment by TamikaJovan (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No, I kept most (not all) of my daughters work. I am keeping it to make a book of all of her school stuff so when she gets older she can see how she was when she was young, I need to get on it though because it's turning into a large pile that needs to be taken care of!
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 2:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't really know why I am keeping these things. I feel obligated to keep them, and when I do throw stuff away for some strange ridiculous reason, I feel as if I am throwing away a part of them, if that makes sense. I am pretty sure they could care less, and if it was up to them, they would dump everything!!! : ) I will try however to consolidate. I am the same way with toys.
    TamikaJovan

Comment by TamikaJovan (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011