Child with diabetes.

So about a year ago I found out that my daughter's father has diabetes. I was told by his sister that it was type 1 and I did my research and found out that it wasn't genetic. But then yesterday I was talking to his stepmom and by chance I asked her what type he had and she told me he has type 2 which just so happens to be genetic. I think I was rightfully infuriated that they didn't tell me this sooner. But my question is for mom's of children with diabetes: What were some of the warning signs for you to take your child to the doctor? She's four now and I think she would tell me if something was wrong but I just want to make sure. And the internet is so generic when it comes to symptoms so I'd like to hear it from a real person compared to a website. Thanks.

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Health

• Well it's not likely for a child to be born with type 2 diabetes.....type 1 is generally what children get. Those getting type 2 are getting it from eating sugar filled, carb filled junk and not moving around. It's so prevalent thesedays because when we were kids, we didn't have internet, cell phones, wii, all these things that kids sit around and are not moving. We played outside, built things, put on plays, played kickball in the yard.....

Yes genetics can make you more prone to having diabetes later in life, but healthy eating and exercise can make that never happen.

Some warning sides of a child having diabetes (or anyone) is sudden weight gain or loss, frequent urination, feeling lethargic, being really thirsty...and if it's been bad for awhile tingly fingers or feet (pins and needles that doesn't go away)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• One third of the children born in this century, in this country, will develop type 2 diabetes, due to the horrid foods that most Americans eat.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011