If a nursing home says they can not confirm wether or not a patient is there or not does that usually mean they have passed?

Sorry not sure where to ask this

1nglmom3

Asked by 1nglmom3 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• Not necessarily, it is like a school. There are specific contact people and you can't call just to ask if a person is there. Call a family member.
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 2:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• or they dont have the right... in schools sometimes gmas will call (not legal guardians) and ask about their grandkids - we cannot tell them anything... so it might be that they cannot share that info with everyone --- or the person has passed away... could be either.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• if you are family, i am not sure why they would ever tell you that.
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Probably has to do with a Privacy rule. Try contacting a close family member to find out.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I work in a hospital and if a patient wishes to "opt out" then we can give out NO information, neither confirming or denying their whereabouts. It's a privacy issue.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It means that they are not allowed to give out that information. Nursing Homes are governed by the same regulations as doctors because they provide care for their residents.

Unless you are approved to be given information, they are doing the right thing.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Not necessarily. You may not be listed as a contact person meaning you can't be given information. The patient can be listed as a "no information" which means the staff isn't allowed to give out info over the phone to anyone.
    AlliPerry

Answer by AlliPerry at 2:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• HIPPA won't let them tell you. Unless you are on an "approved" list. Its all the privacy act
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• OH ok thank you all. I had called back at Christmas time, and asked to speak to her and a nurse said she didn't have a phone in her room. So I asked her to give a message to the patient, and she did. When I called today to do the same thing, or to ask If i could send a letter they told me they could neither confirm nor deny .
    I think I will try to contact her family. Than you for you help.
    1nglmom3

Comment by 1nglmom3 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree, talk to a family member

Answer by admckenzie at 2:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2011