What is the difference between a mothers helper and a nanny?

No this is not a bad joke I have been offered a mothers helper but I am ignorant of exactly what that is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• A nanny takes over totally caring for the kids and a mothers helper helps out the mom while the mom takes care of the kids.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• A mother's helper typically just helps out while the mother is present. He/she might play with and keep the children busy while Mom cooks or does housework.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• its when you are there watching the children while the mother is home.. you are helping her.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 2:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Mother's helpers may be asked to run errands; grocery store, dry cleaners, etc. It can involve light housekeeping, laundry, walking the dog ... I would ask what is expected before accepting this type of position. I have seen "help wanted" ads that state the general duties, and they can be very different depending on the person hiring.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Well my mil has offered to pay for a mothers helper for me when I pop out this baby. Since I had no idea what it was I said I would think about it. But sounds like I should ask for a housekeeper instead!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011