at what age can i star solid food for my baby n what foods.

bussywomen

Asked by bussywomen at 2:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can start around 4 months and i would start with basic fruits. feed one kind for one week then add another the next week and use the previous weeks fruit with the new fruit that way you can make sure there are no food allergies. once you do 3 fruits you can start veggies. start with squash or peas or something like that.
    beckerswife1429

Answer by beckerswife1429 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Supposedly not until they are 4 months. But a friend of mine started letting his son suck on slices of peaches at two weeks and has been doing awesome (he's now 8 months) but talk to your pediatrician first.

Here's a helpful website for first foods
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• 4-6 months is the recomended age. I always started my kids on the green veggies first. Green beans were a favorite for both kids. My kids both had cereal in their bottles as infants, so I didn't need to start with cereal at 4 months
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• 4 to 5 months and usually people start with rice cereal. You have to add foods one at a time and give each food at least a week. This is so you can watch for allergies. It is best to talk to your pediatrician before starting on solid foods.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I recommend no sooner then 6 mos. You can start with a fruit or veggie. Many people start with infant cereal, but it's not necessary unless you WANT to use it. You can buy jarred foods, or puree your own, or just cut it into very small pieces (of very soft food) and let baby self feed. Some good starter/first foods are avocado, sweet potato, banana.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I started rice cereal at a few weeks old, bananas at 3 months and fruits at 4 months and veggies at 5 months. My doctor high fived me and said although he had to say no sooner than 6 months for solids but I obviously knew what I was doing, haha. I do things the way they used to do them not the way things are done now. I had great sleepers (slept through the night 12 hours at 2 months old) and happy babies!
    sweetiepie8540

Answer by sweetiepie8540 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You aren't supposed to start solids until between 4-6 months. You can make your own baby food, just steam veggies until soft, then pop them in the blender. There is an old wives tale that you should start with veggies first so they don't develop a sweet tooth for the fruits. I've done both and it doesn't make a difference. My youngest is 6 months and I've been feeding her very small pieces of bananas, green beans, etc without pureeing. All 5 of my kids slept through the night by 2 months (at least 8 hours) and were happy babies without stuffing them on solids too early.

Answer by missanc at 5:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would talk to your doctor. Most people will tell you not till 4 months but i started around about 2. My son wasnt getting enough from formula and was going through about a can a day if we only gave him formula. He is now 8 months and is on table food per his doctors orders because formula is just mostly fat and he dosent need all that fat. He is recomended to only have 3 bottles a day. My son is as healthy as can be, has been off the charts since he was born; he is now 25 pounds and about 28.5 inches.
    nikkik526

Answer by nikkik526 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 5:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2011