How do you stop yourself from buying them the world??

My son, 3, is not the most expressive or overly happy, excited child so when his little face lights up over something he wants, I have SUCH a hard time not wanting to buy him it... of course I don't actually buy it..., I DO know better and don't want a spoiled tantruming child in the store, I think that's the only thing that prevents me though... he keeps asking for things for Christmas or his birthday now.. which are Nov and Dec..lol!~

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• The only thing that stops me is, if i know I am going out, I only take as much money as I need for whatever I am planning. I get whatever i need to get done first, so if it happens later, i don't have the money to buy it with me. It's the only way to stop myself. I spoil my DD, I can't help it. So this is what works for me. Then i have time to think about if she really wants it, or is it just because she saw it.. And does she really NEED it. Our house is small, so we try and not buy too much... But my parents, on the other hand, is a totally different story,.. If you can tell me how to stop THEM from buying her the world....
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Well I buy things for my child if we are at the pharmacy because she is sick. I buy her something small like a coloring book or a dinosaur toy. It makes them feel better and it gives them something to play with while they are sick in bed. They aren't sick that often so it's a treat and it's something they will remember and maybe pass on to their kids. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I always take a picture with my phone and tell them it's on their Wish List.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The fact that I have a budget and a house full of toys stops me! LOL!
    We also do the 'put it on your birthday/Christmas list' technique. I have noticed that a lot of the things that they light up for in the store they have forgotten about by the end of the week. The things that consistantly stay on the list are the things that they actually want and that actually get bought for special occasions.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I always ask myself: do they really NEED this? do they really deserve it?
    For my kids the answer to both questions is almost always, NO. They don't take care of what they have so they really don't deserve anything or need more, obviously. So I don't find it hard.
    We also don't do much for birthday/Christmas. For their birthdays they get 1 or 2 gifts. At Christmas we usually limit it to $75/per kid. They have to do something real special to get a toy at any other time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011