Seperating classes by race / sex , with same race /sex teacher will help with underperforming students?

LANCASTER, Pa. -- The School District of Lancaster is defending a plan that groups students according to their race.In December, McCaskey East High School placed its junior class in different homerooms based on race and gender. Each class is led by a home room teacher of the same race and gender who serves as a role model.The idea is based on research that shows students with strong mentors do better in school."We said, 'Hey, the data shows that some of our students are underperforming. Can mentoring help them in both attendance, grades and standardized testing?'" said McCaskey East Principal Bill Jimenez.News 8's Lancaster reporter Anne Shannon will take a look inside one of those homerooms Wednesday morning to see what's happening.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 2:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• That's nuts!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• That's not right. I am a white woman, and my role model was a black man, my counselor in HIGH SCHOOL!!!! The ONE person who pushed me passed my limits, helped me with schooling & everything. Color is color just as gender is gender.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• wow that is ILLEGAL - you cannot group your kids by race... once i had a reading group that was like every white boy in 2nd and 3rd grade and we JOKED that i grouped them like that for race (really it was their reading test results and just happened that way.)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• How exactly does that help? It just seems like that is segregation for the 21st century.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• sounds nuts but i can see how it could work.
    USAF.Wife

Answer by USAF.Wife at 2:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Since segregation worked so well the first time...I guess they figured they'd give it another shot...

WTF is WRONG with people??

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Didn't we do that already, you know before the segregation?  What are we doing goin back in time.  Thats just crazy.  What are these people thinking?  Maybe by sex but not by race.  If they have all boy classrooms I understand because there are no "distractions".  And samething for all girl classes.  But not by race.  Thats dumb.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. It is like segreation again, but going more extreme. My son is an Alaska Native(I wonder where they would group him? there are not that many Alaska Natives in the Lower 48) and he prefers women teachers. If my son was in the schools there, I would pull him and/or pitch a major fit!
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 2:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

How so? and where would MY kids go? who picks their race for them? or do they hire mixed race teachers as well?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yeah I disagree with this. I grew up around all different kinds of people, And my role model in school was an older white lady. She was like an Aunt to me. I was totally blessed by having her in my life. With this policy I would have never met her and I think I might not have viewed people the same. You learn alot from many people who may be like you but different on the outside. My best friend was a white girl name Mandy. We were different races but our personality was very much alike. I learned alot from people of all different races and genders.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2011