What questions do YOU ask when looking for an evening babysitter?

My husband and I have lived in this small town for almost a year. We have no family here and no friends that we feel inclined to ask to watch our 6 year-old daughter for an evening while we go out. None of our friends or neighbors have teenage daughters who might fit the bill as a babysitter, so we are looking around. I found the typical "Need a babysitter?" ad and am thinking about calling her to do an interview and meet me and my daughter. I have all the typical questions in mind, experience, references, younger siblings, good with dogs, have a boyfriend, etc. But are there any...unusual or nontypical questions...that you specifically ask or would suggest I ask?

blu_canary

Asked by blu_canary at 2:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Luckily I have never had to look around. My daycare provider has 4 daughters! But, my daughter is in brownies. The girls scouts put out a list every year of available older girl scouts that babysit. Maybe you can contact your local girl scouts and ask if such a list exists in your town?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I always ask if they are certified in CPR..if they aren't it's a no go. In our city all babysitters are required to have CPR/Heimlich certification.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Ask if they are a smoker and will they be smoking around your child.
    Anonymous

• Great answers, ladies. I had thought of CPR, but the girl scout idea is great! Thank you!
    blu_canary

Comment by blu_canary (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011