Better to smoke and breastfeed or not breastfeed at all?

I have a friend that is nursing and is a light smoker she said she only has a few a day. We got into this conversation last night and I'm just curious to see what you all think. I'm not a smoker, but I'm just curious if it is better to be breastfeeding and still smoke or choose to not breastfeed at all?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's BEST not to smoke at all, but if you do, it's still better to nurse if you are a smoker then to use formula if you are a smoker.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no. it is def better to formula feed if you are going to smoke. that crap gets all over you on the outside and on the inside. you seriouslu want your baby sucking on an ash tray
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't smoke but I've read that it is still better to breastfeed. But didn't she stop while she was pregnant? Why not just go a few more months with out smoking? Geez.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Vote me down if you wish, but it is a fact that the benefits of nursing will help counter the negative effects of being the child of a smoker. Really. Research it if you don't believe me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Formula is much better then nactine filled breast milk. Why cant she just stop smokeing for a few months?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I'm really hoping, and assuming, she's not actually in the act of smoking while breast-feeding. If this were me and smoking was an addiction I had I would formula feed, just because I wouldn't want the residual effects going to my child. The nutrients in the formula, in my opinion, are going to outweigh the nutrients in the breast-milk mixed with the second hand smoke and tar. However I don't know the medical details involved in smoking and breast feeding, so it could be harmless for all I know.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• wow , I would think not as it would probably poison the breastmilk with nicotine......i'm not sure though
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• ba13grl1987.....best answer. there is no possible way tar and nicotine filled milk is better than formula.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's not HARMLESS but it's better for the child of a smoker to get breast milk then formula.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/smoking.html
    http://www.loveyourbaby.com/breastfeeding-and-smoking.html

Just a few links for those who truly want the information, and don't just want the answer that they want to hear.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If it wasnt harmless then why do most doctors say dont smoke and breast feed? Even says on the ciggrete carton.
    I rather listent oa doctor over some stupid non credited website any day
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011