• In the Spotlight:

Anyone who has had a planned c-section....

I am currently 23 weeks pregnant and having a scheduled/planned c-section with this baby, as I had an emergency c-section with my first and my doctors and myself both agree a c-section is the best way for me to go with this pregnancy.

I was wondering what our experience was like when you had a planned c-section, how you prepared yourself, did you recover faster/slower, how did you deal with the spinal going into your back (that is my WORST part LOL), any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

PrdWifeNMom07

Asked by PrdWifeNMom07 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I don't think you would recover any faster or slower than the first time. My next delivery is going to be a c-section also, but I am not goin gto plan it. I am going to wait until my water breaks. it just seems weird to me picking the birth date of my child.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 3:23 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My second was planned, though because of Preeclampsia I did end up having her 3 weeks earlier than planned. With my first c-sec I didn't feel the spinal needle because I had an epi before that, but the epi needle and electric jolt was worse than the spinal. I recovered quickly becasue I got up frequently and I stopped taking anything other than motrin after the first day.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The epideral was HORRIBLE with my first c-section, they scraped my spine THREE times. That is what i'm scared about. Haha. What does the spinal feel like? I didn't have hardly any pain after my c-section so i'm hoping this one will be like that, just wanted to know other peoples experiences :) Thanks.
    PrdWifeNMom07

Comment by PrdWifeNMom07 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I am in the exact same boat as you OP. I am 27 weeks and have a c-section scheduled for April, 22nd. This is my third baby. First was born vaginally, second was an emergency c-section. While my doctor did say I could go either way, I enjoy the predictability of a c-section compared to a vaginal birth. Obviously stuff can still go wrong, but let's not thing about that ;) I chose to schedule mine vs letting labor start naturally because I never want to feel another contraction for as long as I live! Not if I have a choice anyway. I'm sorry my post does not offer the experience you were looking for but hey, I am right there with ya sister! Ha, a few weeks earlier, in fact.
    .
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 3:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My only C-section was scheduled, so I don't have anything with which to compare, but I'll share what I can. :)

My recovery was pretty quick and easy. I was out and about (carefully, and with someone else driving) less than a week after birth, and even went on vacation the following week with little to no extra discomfort. By the time the vacation was over, I was pretty much back to normal.

The actual process of delivering the spinal block was a lot like the epidural, but without the added hardship of having to sit still through contractions, lol. They might be able to do a bit better than with your epidural since they're going at their own pace. The sensation is completely different, though. With a spinal, you go completely numb from the chest down, pretty quickly, and all you're able to feel when they make the incision is a little pressure and tugging.

No pain at first, but you'll know when the spinal wears off!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thank you and congratulations and good luck with your c-section (: Are they doing the c-section early or right on your due date?
    PrdWifeNMom07

Comment by PrdWifeNMom07 (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thank you for the information, I appreciate it!
    PrdWifeNMom07

Comment by PrdWifeNMom07 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I had 2 planned csections. My second was a much faster recovery than my first. I didn't have a problem with the spinal - I just didn't think about it and after they put the numbing gel on it didn't hurt at all. I was more aware of everything that was going on. With my first I was just so overwhelmed by everything that was happening - this one I just sat back and tried to remember everything. It was a very calm experience.

Answer by missanc at 3:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I had a planned c-section for my second. There was no problem with the spinal. Talk to the anesthesiologist and tell him/her your concerns. Be honest and up front. about your anxiety. Recovery was the same. And just make sure you go over all the deatils for the care of your first. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thank you (:

They put numbing gel on you when you get the spinal? I've never heard of this, Haha.
    PrdWifeNMom07

Comment by PrdWifeNMom07 (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011