My son is 3 years old and I would like to put him a pre-school summer camp?

Are there any moms out there who didn't put their child in pre-school at all? Many mothers say they are teaching their children what they need themselves. I working mom and do not want my son to fall behind because of lack of $$ to pay for a prestigious pre-school. Your thoughts and advice would be a huge help.

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't need a "prestigious pre-school"... no one ever got rejected from Harvard b/c of their pre-school education, or lack there of!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My Son started Preschool at 3. These days, I highly recommend it. There are children in his class that started at 2 years old. Even at 3 he had to catch up with learning circle time etc. He absolutely LOVES it and I am sending him again next September. Our Preschool summer camp is only for children 5 & over so I am going to be looking to see what else I can get him into for the summer since he is 4 now. So to answer your question, at least here in NY, children that go to preschool before kindergarten have an academic & social advantage over children who do not. I have seen it with my own eyes.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Look at your local districts kindergarden requirements, they should be posted somewhere on their website. Studies have shown children who attend preschool do better academically then those who do not (which is why you see the push for early intervention and head start) This is NOT to say a parent with the right tools can't do the same things as a preschool at home. But simply teaching them to count to 10 doesn't cut it anymore. If you're not looking at preschool, just work with your child on pre-literacy skills, knowing their fully name, address and phone number, letter and number recognition, rote counting etc. Do some real research into what your child needs for kindergarden in their school and do your best to prepare them.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Who ever voted me down has no clue.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We have a pre-school program where i live that takes kids when they turn 3 by september but my son's birthday wasn't until october so they wouldn't let him in even though he can count and knows all of his colors. i work full time and when i get off of work i make sure to go over shapes, colors, numbers, and we just started letters by making flashcards. if you make a game out of it kids are eager to please and learn. i also read to him every night which is a great thing to help them start reading. it's kind of a commitment to get a schedule of this kind going until he goes to school but well worth it. I started teaching him these things since he was 1 and he always loved it. Just because you can't send him to pre-school don't stop the learning.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 3:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Three year old preschool the children ONLY learn a little bit of social skills and maybe by the end of the whole season to stand in line and/or sit in circle time for the whole reading time.

Four year old preschool the children learn social skills, playing and singing songs (which they can learn at home), standing in line, eating at the table, maybe the alphabet and some number recognition. (which you can teach just as easily at home.

Putting children in pre-school started becoming a fad about 30 years ago. Before that it was almost unheard of. You don't have to put them in pre-school and they will just fine in kindergarden and the primary grades.
    By 4th grade if you were to look at the whole classroom of kids you would not be able to tell who went to preschool or not.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 5:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My 3.5 year-old is in pre-school (and I am a working, single mom) -- She has learned MUCH MORE than, "Three year old preschool the children ONLY learn a little bit of social skills and maybe by the end of the whole season to stand in line and/or sit in circle time for the whole reading time" -- She has learned her ABC's -- they are working on writing them now AND the sounds each letter makes. She has learned to count to 20 AND recognize the numbers. She has learned how to make friends and how to work as a group. She has learned how to get along with other children. PLUS -- she has made many friends that we have become friends with outside of school. Socialization IS a huge benefit -- but that isn't ALL there is to it.
    Also, youo dont have to have a prestigious school -- just a good school that you have thoroughly checked out.
    If you can afford it -- at least put your child in a 2-3 day a week program. Good luck!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't think preschool in necessary. As long as you are doing basic things at home like learning colors, shapes, alphabet, etc.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Hi,
    I am not sure of your location but we are a preschool located in Howell, New Jersey and have a summer camp program from ages 2 1/2 years old to 6 years old. www.lilachieversnj.com . In response to your question, education as well as socilization are key components of a great foundation for elementary school. Children who start preschool almost have an advantage to children that strictly stay at home. Any child would benefit from at least a morning program a few times a week. Moms find that there is less of a seperation anxiety by the time the child goes to kindergarten.
    lilachievers

Answer by lilachievers at 3:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2011