Child sleeping no one else but home?

My son has ALWAYS been this way, he will never sleep any where but home..He is 3 and we have had to leave to go home at countless attempts at over nights anywhere since he has been born.. we really have given valid efforts but he just won't sleep and gets very anxious.... we have a trip planned in April where we will be at my GF's house for 3 nights.. I am nervous.. do any mom's that have gone through this, have any tips? he is very active so no amount of "wear him out" has ever worked..

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'd start by planning some overnights BEFORE this trip. Somewhere very familiar and comfortable to him. Bring all of his favorite comfort items, if he has any. Make a big deal about the awesome slumber party, plan fun activities, and play up a special breakfast in the morning.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We let him take his pillow and blanket. Our son has been attached to his pillow since he was about 8 months. It helps when he goes somewhere else.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 3:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Can you get him a blow up travel bed or sleep mat and let him start using it so that it is familiar? Then, when you travel, he can sleep in his very own bed? Let him take a lovey, his favorite blanket & pillow, etc., too, and maybe having all his stuff surrounding him will help him to relax enough to be able to sleep?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sorry - no WHERE Else
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• can you just sit with him until he falls asleep? i think it will be rough but you will just have to tough it out and tell him you are sleeping there and lay down and show him that mommy is sleeping there too.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son (he's 4) won't sleep anywhere else either. I told him I want to take him to Great Wolf Lodge next month and he keeps saying that he wants to come home the same day. I don't know what to do either.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yes, I have tried that.. he's also not the best sleeper at home anyway - never wanting to sleep-and me being by him, makes him wide awake and wanting to play and is very fidgitty.. even our daycare provider has had to put him on a mat on the floor because he is so fidgitty or however you spell that..
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I had this problem and wearing him out didn't work out for me rather It is all new surroundings. I used to show him everything in the house to make sure he feels comfortable with everything before he starts to get sleepy sometimes knowing whats around him will calm him down maybe play with something that is already in the room show him it is OK GL momma
    2_kiddos

Answer by 2_kiddos at 3:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My dd is like this, she is 4. She will only sleep somewhere besides home if I am right there. Maybe let him sleep with you?
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011