summer camp

At what age would you let your child go to a summer camp for a few days? I noticed a christian camp here lets kids start going for 3 nights at 9 yrs old. It isnt like church camp where you know the adults..it is a real summer camp about 2 hrs away. My dd is 9 and I cant imagine letting her go with a group of friends at this age!! i went to that camp and had a blast..I would like her to go in the future but she seems young..anyone have experience with this?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 3:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son went to a fantasy camp for 4 days when he was 11. He loved it. I think he knew one other kid, but he knew all of the people running the program. It was the best thing in the world for him at a difficult time (his grandfather was dying and actually passed just before I went to pick him up.)

This summer he will be 13 and wants to go for longer. His sister, who is 11 isn't quite ready yet. It all depends on the kid.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My kids have been going overnight to a Christian camp here since they were in 3rd grade (the summer after 2nd). My daughter and son are only a year apart in school so they go the same week. It is here in town, but wouldn't matter if it were/weren't - they aren't allowed visitors, phone calls, etc. only letters. They both have had a great time every summer - no homesickness. They go from Sunday - Friday.
    It's the same camp I went to growing up!

Answer by missanc at 3:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I worry the most about not knowing the counselors..I just wonder if they are really watching the kids all the time or if any are creepy..I am usually not a paranoid type and I LOVED camp growing up but I am just not comfortable with the idea of it yet.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My daughter was 9 when she went to camp for a week but we knew the camp director and alot of the counselors and older kids fromour church.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:24 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• She have fun. You can ask the counselors question. If you don't like their answers then you can either let her stay home or go some where else.

HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2011