how old is too old for diapers?

My daughter is 2yrs old and I can't get her out of diapers at all. She loves her big girl undies but she always pees in them. sometimes she will tell her big sister she has to go potty but she will not use the potty for me.

dani45640

Asked by dani45640 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say 3 and a 1/2 is way too old for them. My son was out of them at 2 and a 1/2. I mean unless your child has special needs then they shouldnt be in them that long.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i think 2 is too old
    Anonymous

• Plenty of three year olds are still in diapers. Each child does it in their own time. Be encouraging and patient. Set up some sort of reward for her. You surely know someting she would really love to have. Be diligent about looking for the signs she needs to go to the potty. And there are great books for kids to help with this too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My niece was 3, my son was 3 and one of our nieces was 4.. I think ALL kids vary about when they are ready.. just keep working at it..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• 3 years old IMO
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 3:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Depends on the child. I have 3 nieces, 1 trained at 2, another at 2 1/2 and the last one trained at 2 1/2 but reverted back after her baby brother was born. She is doing better now, she will be 4 in March. My nephew was almost 4. My son is 4 (with DS) and not trained, he will go on the potty first thing in the morning but thats it.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Kids are sooooo different. Putting an age on it is a load of crap IMO. I started potty training my daughter at two and she did not get the hang of it until she was 3 1/2. Lots of peds will tell you that if you start them too early (before THEY are ready) then you just end up with more of a mess on your hands. Literally. Good luck and don't stress, kids pick up on that :)
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thank you all for your opinions,Very helpful,I'll let her do it when she's ready instead of my mother-in-law telling me she has to do it now!! Lol
    dani45640

Comment by dani45640 (original poster) at 3:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i say 3 /2
    MiZZKRiSTiLEE

Answer by MiZZKRiSTiLEE at 4:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's very possible that at 2 yrs old her bladder simply isn't mature enough for her to control it. I don't see anything wrong with a 2 or 3 year old in diapers, especially if they are actively trying to toilet train. My DD was about 3 when she was fully daytime trained for urine. Her stools on the potty (consistently) were closer to age 4, and she only recently came out of pull ups for overnight (she turned 5 on Oct 11, and the first night she went without a pull up was Oct 30). She did have a few accidents, and I'm sure she will have an accident here and there for a bit longer, but I consider her fully potty trained. My DS however, turned 3 in August, and has NO interest in the toilet. It's frustrating! He's behind, developmentally, and behind in speech, so it makes sense that he'd also be behind in this area, but he's come VERY far in the past 6 mos or so, almost to the level that he should be at his age, so I'm
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011