Additional people in the delivery room

How do you feel about having extra people in the delivery room with you? When I delivered my son it was just me and my husband and I loved that intimate time we had. But this go time his family is saying they want to be in there. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

RishawnsMom

Asked by RishawnsMom at 3:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You are in charge of that delivery room, if you don't want them in there then don't let them in. It is purely up to you whether you feel comfortable with his family or not.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 3:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I originally said only my husband and I, then as everyone was leaving i told my grandmother she could stay. She sat in a chair on the other side of the room. I ended up having to have a c-section...so then it really was just me and my husband.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Go with what makes YOU comfortable. Ultimately it is your decision. Personally I didn't care who was in my room because I was focused on the baby, not them. I know I had friends and family in and out. I think the only person who was in there the whole time was my mom. My husband at the time couldn't stand to see me in pain and kept going out to the lobby to talk to everyone who was there.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Do whatever you want. It was just me and my husband with both our children. I've decided if we have a 3rd, I will allow both our moms in the room but even that may change when the time comes!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with. If you don't want them there don't be afraid to say it.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I personally would only want my husband and maybe my mom in the room, but you are in control what you say goes in that room. If you are not comfortable with others being in the room, then just simply say no (: They will understand!! It is your day!
    PrdWifeNMom07

Answer by PrdWifeNMom07 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I had a c-section with both of our children, so there were already more people than I wanted in the delivery room. Had I had my choice I would have only wanted my husband in there. The bonding with the baby is a very precious time and the family, his and mine, had shared in other milestones along the way. Waiting a few extra minutes is not going to be dramatic for any of the family. Ask him to speak to hisfamily and explain that giving birth is a very personal experience.
    hals6565

Answer by hals6565 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I didn't want anyone besides my husband there. It's a very private moment as far as I'm concerned. I would have been ok with my mom being there, but in the interest of not hurting his mom's feelings, I just said no one else.

You have to do what you want. Added stress is not going to help you; in fact, it might hinder your labor. And make sure your husband is behind you on whatever you decide (at least willing to do what you want if he doesn't actually agree with it -- you're the one who's going to be laboring) and can act as your advocate during labor.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think thats my problem DragonriderMD. I dont want to hurt anyones feelings. They are traveling a long ways to be there and I want to be considerate but I still dont want to be uncomfortable either. I feel like I do much better when I dont have a lot of extra opinions being thrown at me.
    RishawnsMom

Comment by RishawnsMom (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• You have the right to have whoever you want with you. If you want to be polite about saying no, you could say 'the hospital only allows X people in the room and I am having hubby and xxx in there. Sorry you will have to wait until visiting hours to see baby". My hospital only allowed 2 people in the delivery room with me, and when I had my 1st I wanted my mom there cause she was my delivery coach and of course I wanted my hubs there. My dad was at the hospital as well, but he wisely decided that he would be more comfortable in the waiting room-- with a good book. I will never forget that I was in the middle of trying to push and my mil barged in unannounced and decided SHE needed to be there whether she was wanted or not! I was pissed! My son ended up being a C-section and I was very happy that mil did not get to see my son be born, that it was just hubs and I who were there when he was born.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011