Mexico

Mexico has seen a drastic increase in kidnappings. NPR said it was up 86% from last year. Many of these kidnappings are related to drug cartels. The Mexican government has been putting increased pressure on these cartels and is determined to eliminate them. Do you think the US should step in with assistance (financial or armed forces). If so how do you think it benefit? If no, why not?

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Ah, that makes a difference then.

See, if they actually ask for assistance, sure why not. That's like helping out a good friend. But I don't think we should just roll in unannounced without having them explicitly ask for our help. The cartels have caused problems in the USA, so it affects our people as well :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Meh...that's a very touchy subject to discuss. I'm not really sure : / I'd be a hypocrite if I said yes, because I feel that we really shouldn't stick our noses where we don't belong. The drug cartels in Colombia are insane, horrible terrorists, but we're not down there waging war against them.

*shrug* I dunno. It's not up to me, lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Ok, I should have specified. If I remember right, the Mexican government is open to assistance.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• No, because how else are we supposed to get the cocaine? kidding.

I don't think we should step in, except to secure the borders and ports to stop it from coming in. :)
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• The only thing we should do is secure our faulty, flimsy boarders ... oh, wait.  We can't.  All the good men and woman of our military (I am NOT being sarcastic here) are overseas where Bush wanted to butt in (I am being sarcastic here).

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I feel that we should put an offer out there to help, but we should NOT force it upon them.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 12:11 AM on Nov. 15, 2008