Should teachers be fired for posting negative content on Facebook/MySpace pages?

"A Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools teacher faces firing for posting derogatory comments about students on Facebook, while four others have been disciplined for posts involving “poor judgment and bad taste,” spokeswoman Nora Carr said Tuesday."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/319902.html

Do you agree?

MokaMommy

Asked by MokaMommy at 1:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• While it is true that as a teacher you are not going to like every student who walks through your door...there is an obligation to be professional. Including on your own time in regards to the students you teach. So yes, I think there should be action taken against the teacher for poor professional judgement. And this teacher had to know that at least one of her students would also be on Facebook and read what she posted.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• yes that is just plain wrong if you want to rant get a good old fashioned diary

Anonymous

• Heyyy...I live near Charlotte, whattaya know =3

I have a friend who teaches high school students, we're friends on Myspace...he would NEVER EVER say bad things about his students online. That's completely unprofessional, especially if some of the students are on your friend list! There's a difference between discussing students in the break room and discussing them on the public internet. *sigh*
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I don't think a teacher should be fired for his or her site as long as they don't call out a person by name or description.

They are allowed to have a personal life and are allowed to bitch about work. Isn't there a button that can say: only friends can see my page? If you have a job that people would recognize you wouldn't you have hit the button?
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Yes, come on! they should know better than that - kids post in Facebook all the time and they are bound to see that.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 1:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I used to teach before becoming a full-time SAHM. Currently I have a profile on here and on MySpace, and the day I decide to go back to teaching, both will be DELETED. I feel teachers have a responsibility to our students both inside AND outside of the classroom. Even if I was "behaving" on my profile, you can't always trust the judgement of your friends/contacts.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 1:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Absolutely. I don't want people like that teaching my child!!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• There is a button. These sites were viewable by the public and they all identified the school system where they taught. I don't think it was too bright... Makes me wonder about their intelligence.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 1:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Knox County school employees are not allowed to have MySpace sites. (It doesn't mean they don't, but I'm sure if they do, they keep it private and quiet).
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Oh, and yes, I think any teacher should face disciplinary charges if they are violating their privacy contracts regarding children. If you work for schools, you sign some form of privacy act regarding the children.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2008