Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I file a tax return when my only 'income' last year was welfare?

I have been told I still have to file a return, even if I didn't have a job. The only money that came in was from the state, NJ, and I don't know how to file that.. please help.

I now know that it isn't fileable. So since I had nothing else come in that  means I don't have to file any forms at all right? I remember being told by someone in my area that I still had to file, so I want to make sure I don't get in trouble by doing nothing.. thanks for all  your answers!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • I don't know NJ but usually you get something saying how much you were paid. Maybe you could look on the web site or call the State office to be sure.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • you should still have gotten a W2 or a 1099 in the mail from welfare. I recieved unemployment and got a W2 for that and file that.

    Answer by leksismommy at 3:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • As far as I know, state income, welfare and workers comp and such are not taxable. You can't even claim it. BUT, don't take my word for it, call a tax attorney or visit

    Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • You can't file.

    Answer by Claudiomom at 3:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Call H&R block and ask for sure, they can answer some tax question like this for free. They will tell you for sure

    Answer by leksismommy at 3:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • you should get a W2. I assume it would work like unemployment benefits. My husband got a w2 type form and it was filed. Since you are not paying taxes into that check they want to get the taxes from it around tax time. But that doesnt mean you will pay. It just means you wont get back as much since your unearned income credit and child credits are added into that it evens out.

    Answer by cudybug at 4:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • I don't think you need to.

    To determine if you need to file a Federal Income Tax return for 2010 answer the following questions:

    Occasionally, individuals have one-time or infrequent financial transactions that may require them to file a Federal Income Tax return. Do any of the following examples apply to you?

    Did you have Federal taxes withheld from your pension and wages for this tax year and wish to get a refund back?
    Are you entitled to the Earned Income Tax Credit or did you receive Advance Earned Income Credit for this tax year?
    Were you self-employed with earnings of more than $400.00?
    Did you sell your home?
    Will you owe any special tax on a qualified retirement plan (including an individual retirement account (IRA) or medical savings account (MSA)? You may owe tax if you:

    Received an early distribution from a qualified plan
    Made excess contributions to your IRA or MSA
    Were born before

    Answer by chagenue at 4:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • musicmom08

    Answer by musicmom08 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • You do not file taxes for /just/ welfare. At least not here in California.

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • It's nontaxable - if the government is giving you money they aren't going to tax it.

    Answer by scout_mom at 6:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.