Should I get my own place?

I live my my parents, I'm 20 and I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter. I make $850 a month. My parents treat me like a child and I really want to grow and move out. I want to get my own apartment for my daughter and I but I will need Section 8 and help from the government. I am going to college, I just really need to get out of my parent's house. Do you think this would be a good idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I would honestly say that you should stay until you have finished school. That is because I don't believe in needing to use govt resources when you already have a place whether you like it or not. You should look into getting a place when you make 3x's the monthly rent or mortgage.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Personally, the economy is not very good right now. I would stay until I was done with school.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 4:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was in a similar situation but they didn't treat me like a kid it was just crowded. I think the smart adult thing to do will be finish school, save money until then because you're going to need furniture, plates, security deposit, power turn on and the list goes on and on. it's not wise to jump into something like moving out on ur own. if you pay ur parents a little rent then maybe they'll start to see you as an adult. i stayed until i was ready and it was well worth the planning and wait. good luck to u.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 4:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I agree with teh otehrs. SUre you wanna be by yourself but if you are not able to pay for it then you cant do it. Stay with your parents and save your money untill you done with college and got a job and not needing to take section 8.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 4:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would love for my parents to treat me like a baby. they didnt treat me like a baby when i was a baby. all i remember is getting beat and called names. stay there honey, they love you and do it because they care. your child benefits too. it sounds like a win/win situtation to me. when you graduate, then move out. p.s. i live on 450.00 a month. save save save if you can.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 5:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Stay where you are till you can afford to live on your own. You are very lucky they are helping you. Could you go to school, do all the cooking, cleaning, bill paying, laundry, child care on your own right now? I'm betting they do a lot that you're not even thinking about.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011