what do u feed ur picky eater?

Im running outive ideas-my son is almost 3 and he eats a whole lot of nothing! its all about texture with him...i need healthy ideas! HELP!

JaydnsMom22

Asked by JaydnsMom22 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm having the same problem. My son literally eats nothing! Let me know if you find out anything that works!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 3:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Put a plate of food in front of him and tell him to eat the food. If he does not want to. Make him wait to eat tell the next meal. And don't give him anything to drink but water at meals. Kids have a tendency to fill up on juices and kool aid.

I never had a problem with picky eating. I never alowed it.

Answer by louise2 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I try to mix up my son's favorites as much as possible. He's 2 and if it is not the right texture or size, he is NOT interested. I just try my hardest to give him his Flintstones every day!
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• right well its kinda hard not to allow it-my kid doesnt eat what we put in front of him..then my son likes to stand in the kitchen and take crap out the fridge all day. its annoying. i used to put like things wrapped in tortilla shells-and hed eat it .but he caught on-cause he loved them.
    and also-in the summer-we had a juicer and id juice veggies and he never knew-cause id hide them under the fruit. so dragonflies-get a jacklanes juicer! 99$ i mean-u could use it now-but not many things are in season. u could also juice canned things, but i like fresh fruits/veggies. they taste better.
    JaydnsMom22

Comment by JaydnsMom22 (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Long after my DD was able to eat table food I would still give her little containers of baby food vegetables. If I cooked her sweet potatoes she wanted nothing to do with them. Carrots? Green beans? Forget it. But if I gave her baby foods with a spoon she would go to town. So I let her have them, I figured it was better than nothing. She also loves chicken that I pull off of those rotiesserie chickens from the grocery store. Turkey dogs are still popular, cut small of course. Noodles are a hit. I say just keep trying things and if you find something that works go with it. While I don't think you can not allow being picky, you definitely can not allow snacking in between or eating things that are not healthy when your son isn't eating at mealtime. A few tablespoons of a few different foods is enough for a meal so don't expect him to eat a big plate of food either. (cont'd)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Fill him up on the things he will eat! Make sure hes getting vitamins. Mine was very picky until she was about 4 and even sometimes now shes almost 6. Most picky eaters still enjoy green beans, so if you have to give him green beans every day then do it. Try making veggies different ways, adding cheese. Alot of kids still enjoy fruit so thats a good source of vitamins, Give him granola snacks, yogurt if you can, Broaden the variety as much as possible... I know there are alot of things I dont like that I simply never made, then at a friends or relatives & my DD would try it, and I would be shocked to see her enjoying it!
    MommaHerring

Answer by MommaHerring at 4:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I allow my daughter one sweet treat a day after dinner, and usually before she can have it I will tell her she needs three more bites of this or that before she can have her treat. I pick the thing she has eaten the least of that day to try to get her a little more veg or protein or whatever. She doesn't have to eat it, but usually does because she wants her treat. And I never serve or expect her to eat things I know she hates because I don't want food and mealtimes to be a battle. Do your best to offer foods that they like and are healthy, lay down your rule of no unhealthy snacks or no treats until a few bites are taken and then stick to it and don't turn it into a fight. They won't starve themselves.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son is is the pickiest eater! I try to come up with original & new ways to introduce the things he loves, & sneakin in something new from time to time. For example, my son loveeees pancakes. So I puree carrots, sweet potatoes or zuccini & toss it in the pancake mix, some sugar free syrup (most days he doesnt even want syrup) also i make "eggy bread" to get him to eat eggs. french toast! lol if u need more ideas, msg me
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Kids will be picky if you let them. It sound to me most of you young ladies are letting your kids rule you in the food department. They will eat what you fix if you do not give them a choice. Most of the time they are just seeing how much they can get away with things.  Kids like boundaries.

Answer by louise2 at 2:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would say my kids are/ can be picky but they dont really have a choice. if they dont eat dinner then sorry! no cookies or other snacks.
    MichelleLopez04

Answer by MichelleLopez04 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011