When do I take the bottle away from my daughter?

My baby is 2yrs old and hates any kind of cup,I've bought every single type of sippy cup at Wal-Mart and i've wasted my money. I try to take the bottle but then I give in cuz it breaks my heart how sad she is. Also, her daddy is recently been incarcerated and she's a HUGE daddy's girl.

dani45640

Asked by dani45640 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Right now you are probably both using it for comfort. Don't fret about it. I've yet to see a kid in high school still sucking on a bottle. Though, other moms might love to tell you you have ruined your daughter's life forever. Is it time for her to move to a cup? Yeah, probably. But she's two, you have a few options. Bribes are one of my favorite. :) At 2? They understand bribes.

Has she ever had a milkshake or a smoothie? Can't drink those out of a bottle. Try putting one in a cup. Use a straw to dab a bit on her tongue and then see what happens. Granted, you can't do that all the time, but try a little treat in the cup now and then so she gets the idea. Then suddenly when she knows she can do it, the bottles get taken away by the bottle fairy, given to a baby with no bottles, some other story and your kid is drinking out of a cup and she didn't even notice!

Good luck!
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 4:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Take it away and don't give in. You should have taken it away when she was 12 mos old. Throw out the bottles so that you won't be tempted to give in and give them back.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Neither of my kids had the bottle after 12 months.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Just take them all away at night. Tell her in the morning they are gone. She will go look for herself. She may fuss for a day or two, but she will get over it. She is way too old for a bottle now. It is past time.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 4:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I took the bottle away when my babies turned 1 and put them away completely but started giving them sippys at 8 months
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 4:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We took my sons at one and a half because we took his paci away at a year old. He would only drink out of soft spouted cups for a while.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Throw all them away. Then she has to f=drink out of a cup or sippycup. Tell her big girls di not drink out of bottles. JMO

Answer by louise2 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We took my son's away the day after his 1 birthday (seemed mean to do it on his birthday). it really is WAY past time. Simply get rid of them. Make sure you put them somewhere that you can not get one if she cries and you want to give in.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 4:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• have a big girl party. big girls get their hair and nails done, maybe a cute outfit, maybe some makeup, maybe a disney princess cup but big girls don't drink out of bottles. Throw them out with her. Bye bye bottles i'm a big girl now. sometimes when my son doesn't want to give something up i get him to say bye bye see you later and for whatever reason he'll give it up. But don't say see you later with the bottle, lol. some of the other answers seem so cold, she is going through a hard time right now and its comforting. Make it fun for her and perhaps she will come around.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 4:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2011