How do I train my 3 month old German Shepard to stop jumping up on people?

She is getting very big and does well with everything else but this... she jumps up on me and my daughter and when my mom comes over she does the same thing. I slap her nose and say "NO" really loud and mean, but she keeps on doing it... I don't want to keep "spanking" her any ideas?

lynn63042

Asked by lynn63042 at 1:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pets

• ....

Train her periodically with your husband or another adult, not just with company. Get her to jump on somebody, say "Dog, Off!" You have to say her name first so that she knows you are talking to her. As smart as dogs are, they are really stupid. When she has her paws up on the counter, "Dog, Off!" If she doesn't listen, that's what the leash is for. Remind her the command, "Off" means to keep her paws on the floor. After a training session with the leash, give her a treat. ONE treat! Not every time she gets off. Give her a treat (in her crate or bed or assigned space) when company is over and she obeyed the command.
    schleppermom

Answer by schleppermom at 3:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• When she jumps up just "knee" her. After a few times she'll get it. It worked for ALL of my German Shepards :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• This might be long. First put a sign on the door that says "Dog in training. Please ignore dog". Something along those lines. When someone comes in they are not to look at or ackowledge the dog. If she jumps use a sharp distinctive sound and put your hand downward towards her face to translate that she may not jump up. Continue to ignore her until she is calm. Once she is calm you can tell her to sit and then pet her. If she jumps use the sharp noise again and put your hand in her face again. This will take a bit, but it does work. It can be hard for a pup to learn the proper way to greet people, but it will happen. The key is to make sure visitors understand they must help by not encourging the dog by giving it the attention it is seeking. Only good behavior is rewarded by acknowledgment and petting.
    LilMsTiff

Answer by LilMsTiff at 1:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Ignore Ignore Ignore if you ignore her she will stop.
    carmelprincess8

Answer by carmelprincess8 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You can put a leash on her, and everytime she attempts pull the leash down. This way her whole body is thrusted down. I have a large sheperd also, but he was way too spunky, so we actually just kneed him in the chest every time he tried to jump. A friend of mine is a cop and he trains k9's. He gave me the leash and the kneeing advise. Some people think its cruel to knee your dog, but its not like you can have a conversation with them about it. And when you do put your knee against her chest tell her no in a very deep voice. Sheperds respond better when you are using a deep voice. Hey can you send me a pic. of your sheperd? I love them. Mine is from Poland. He is huge
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I like the sign on the door idea, too. Anyway, dogs just need five commands: Sit, Down (lie down), Off (get off), Crate (go to your crate), and Come. It doesn't help to talk to them. Dogs don't speak English. I know that's kind of obvious, but it's easy to forget when you've repeated yourself five hundred times.
    continued...
    schleppermom

Answer by schleppermom at 3:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I have the same problem with my dog, but she is a full bred yellow Lab. She is a wonderful dog, but I cant seem to get her to stop jumping on everyone! she is 4 yrs old now and I wonder sometimes if it's too late to train her to stop jumping. She has knocked people down to the ground because she is super muscular, and I feel so bad about it.
    lilmans_mommy

Answer by lilmans_mommy at 9:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2008