I can't get my 3 year old to be nice to my "OUR" cats and kitten.

He is 3... we have 2 cats that are 10 years old and a new kitten that is 3 months old now... he won't even let her come close to his toys or him without a whine fest or him trying to be mean to her. We still do and have done time outs and have tried now taking away toys as and he just seems unaffected by our attempts.. I know 3 is little but its still old enough to be nice to animals. How do I get him to be nice???

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Pets

• My son went through this with our dogs. We took him to talk to a therapist about animal agression and this is one of the activities she asked us to do at home.
    We grabbed about 8-10 small 'action figures' including a little rubber pig and a dog. They dont all have to be animals but it help with the message you are teaching.
    1. picked a bigger toy...i think my son had a dinosaur.
    2.She gets to be the bigger toy and you be the smaller ones.
    3. She now can 'attack' the small animals.
    4.At this point you and her can make up a scenario and say things like 'the smaller animals are all not protected, these little animals are here by themselves'
    The point to this is to allow her to be aggressive, destructive and mean to the TOY ANIMALS ONLY!
    You can tell her that it is ok to be mean to these animals but not to our family animals (or real animals)
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 4:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Try teaching him how to play with them. Give him a cat toy and show him how to use it with them. It's worth a shot.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My son is nearly 3. I have to remind him all the time to "be gentle" with the kitties. I also have to remind the cats that they *do* have places to get away from him: a cat door down to the basement; and 1 room that is gated off. It gets old, but I just tell him what a good job he's doing being gentle if he is and reminding him to be gentle if he isn't.

If that doesn't work, I redirect him and move the cat.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 10:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think it's animal abuse. Why would you continuously have your child being mean to an animal? Ridiculous.
    Anonymous