The US Citizenship test. (not really a question)

So, I got my book to study for my US Citizenship test. I decided to test my DHs family and all of our friends and see if they passed. Out of 22 people I gave the test to 2 people passed - my DH and his 14yo brother. Its so wierd, people who have lived here for their whole lives cant pass it but people who immigrate here are expected to. I just think its funny.

Im studying and I think I pretty much have it down!!

leksismommy

Asked by leksismommy at 4:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Thanks for doing this the right way! I applaud you for learning! You are truly amazing!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It's kinda like Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader. We are taught this as kids and most people just use it or lose it.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 4:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Don't worry- when we were in high school we had to pass tests about the US too. Just most of us forgot everything we learned because of that little thing called real life.

Learn it for now and pass the test- in 2 years you will probably forget most of it.

:) Good Luck! And welcome!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yes, like most standardized tests the citizenship test also reflects only that you've studied for the test instead of it's intended purpose...to prove your americanness.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Good for you i hope you pass! And yeah some of those ? most people can't answer.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 4:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• What is "...to prove your americanness" ?
    No slam just interested in what this term means to people?
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 4:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Good luck! Most of the questions on the tests are things that we have probably all learned and just forgotten over time--and I imagine that if you had tested 100 people, only about 10 of them would have passed. I doubt I would pass it without a lot of studying, however, I think it is a good thing though, for immigrants to take the tests. It shows that they actually made an effort and want to be an American!
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 4:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2011