Woman in Jail for sending kids to wrong school.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/mom-jailed-for-sending-kids-to-better-school-23973624

What are your thoughts?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 4:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it was overboard for the 10 days in jail. I also dont know if she had any prior criminal points which is what judges usually base any (if any) jail time on. I have actually known parents who got into trouble for doing the same thing and yes had to pay fines for it, and they were white. I just think this woman got caught and they made an example of her so no other parents think of doing it.

Answer by gemgem at 4:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• She also falsified court documents and her father is under investigation for something as well...

The story is way comicated. The judge wrote a letter on behalf of the Mom so she didn't lose her teachers cert. ....and they said they were trying to make a deal with her to avoid jail......

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Plenty of folks do this same thing.I do agree that this woman is being made an example of to deter others.I think something should be done so that these kids can attend a decent school.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Thanks for that update. I saw around there was some talk it was racial, and I am Hispanic so I usually do pay attention to this sort of thing. But I can honestly say in this case I dont think it was racially motivated. I just think she got busted.

Answer by gemgem at 4:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• .It happens a lot around here/
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I understand both sides, but 10 days is a little much! I want my kids in a better school, but I am looking to move into an area where I can get them in to a better school.
    NothinShockin

Answer by NothinShockin at 4:42 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Lying isn't the only option.

My school district sucks too but i am busting my ass and making every sacrifice i can to send my child to private school, not using my mom's address illegally.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I wonder why she didn't apply for a transfer instead. That would've been the smart thing to do.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The school district discovered many families that were doing what this lady was doing. All of them, with the exception of her, admitted that they were wrong, and either pulled their kids out or paid the tuition. She was thrown in jail for willfully violating the law. (Until I heard that portion of the story, mentioned briefly at the very end, I thought jail time was harsh).

I think it was wrong that her child was enrolled in a district that wasn't hers. I pay more to live in a district with good schools. If you are not contributing to a school (via property taxes or tuition), you have no business using the facilities of that school. It's stealing and its fraud.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• 100 other families were investigated, some proved residency, some paid the 30,000.00, and some dropped out...She was the only one who fought it. AND she was the only one who got jail time.. I personally feel that is crap! Maybe she should be allowed to go in and sue the school of her home district for the lack of a good education....it's just as idiotic as what was done to her.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2011