Would you sell your car if fuel gets any more expensive? Where do you draw the line?

I posted this question earlier, asking about fuel prices.
I live in the Netherlands and I converted it from euro and liter into dollar and gallon: One gallon costs me $ 7,98 right now!!!
I'm not sure how much more our budget can take, but at 2 Euros a liter I'm going to sell (now 1,56). No matter what. Back to cycling then. Luckily I work in the same town I live in.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• No, but I know if it gets above $4 a gallon, we wont be able to afford to go to work.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no, I would not sell my car. I live in a small town and we have no public transportation. In nice weather I do ride my motorcycle when I can, but I use premium in it, so even it can get expensive.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 4:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Oklahoma here. I am freaking about $2.97 a gal. I will not sell my car. Our public transportation is not that reliable. I will stop making unnecessary trip in the car. Or do things after work. But sell the car? NO

Answer by louise2 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no I would never sell my car because of gas prices. There are no buses or taxis here
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 4:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Nope. I still have to get to work every day and public transportation is not available in my town, except for taxis, which are more expensive than gas, so the car still gets to ride, Sally, ride.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have a friend in the Netherlands and she was telling me also about the cost there. She said alot of people also walk or ride bikes so it isnt quite like in the states where it seems everyone owns a car.
    For me though it wouldnt be an option to give up my car. I am without one right now because it broke down, but plan on buying a car next friday with my tax money. I literally have to have a car. I have kids, do carpool, dr appts, grocery shopping etc. The household has basically been shutdown in the two weeks I havent had a car. So long term? No. I need a car.

Answer by gemgem at 4:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I couldn't, I would still need to get my kid to school and from the sitter and get groceries, go into the office sometimes, it just wouldn't be practical. I drive less now though
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No, public transporatation here SUCKS and cycling is out of the question for DH.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 5:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• No! Pull out the emergency credit card.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• no, i need my car to get around to the other side of town.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 8:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011