My house has fleas and we have no pets!!! HELP!!!

I am so pissed off right now! My house has fleas in it and we dont have any pets! When i went to get my daughter out of her crib this morning there were 3 on her face and she had bites all over her face and neck! I hate this and I dont know where they came from or how to get rid of them. I also have a newborn in the house so I'm not sure if I should use insecticeds or not! Please help...I'm so embarrassed and it's so nasty!

Mommy2Bx32008

Asked by Mommy2Bx32008 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pets

• Do your neighbors have animals that come close to your house?
    I'm not sure what you could use to get rid of them since you have little ones.
    Don't be embarrassed- things happen.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• U only think of people that are unclean and dirty that have fleas in their houses! Our neighbors have pets but they dont ever come into our yard! I read that fleas can jump on to u and hitch a ride into ur house! They are attracted to white things! I just want them gone! I hate that they are biting my baby girl!
    Mommy2Bx32008

Answer by Mommy2Bx32008 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• http://chesterscleanhouse.blogspot.com/search/label/Flies

try this link you might have to look up flies in the search box
    Anonymous

• Go to a local feed store or a do it yourself pest control store. Buy Boric Acid powder and a big brush sweeper. Sprinkle liberally all over the house. Brush into rugs and carpets. Mop with bleach solution on hard floors. The amount to be used will be on the clorox bottle.

After so many hours it will be time to vacuum the boric acid up. Empty the vacuum cleaner bag into a tightly closed trash bag and dispose of outside. Wash all bedding,too.

The boric acid dehydrates the fleas and is so much safer than pesticides. Boric acid kills other bugs, too.

This is what I used before Frontline Plus.

Good luck,
    Snowcorgi
    Snowcorgi

Answer by Snowcorgi at 4:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I am sorry to hear this. I have heard that you can get the eggs on your shoes and bring them in. I'd be inclined to go with an exterminator, but talk to them first about whether the chemical would be harmful to the baby.

Answer by Bmat at 9:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If you have squirrels in your yard, or other warm-blooded animals, you can have a yard full of them, and of course they will hitch a ride on you if you walk through where some are. Since you have no pets to walk through it, you can sprinkle Borax all over your carpets, leave it as long as you can, then vacuum it up. You can get the borax at walmart in the laundry section as 20 Mule Team Borax, it's way cheaper than Boric Acid which usually comes in much smaller containers for about the same amount of money. And it's basically the same stuff.

Also, could there have been people with pets in the place before you?  Sometimes they are dormant a long time and then a batch crops up almost out of nowhere.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I've never thought of people with fleas in the house as nasty, dirty or unclean, but I suppose some people are just more judgmental. But I live in the south, land of eternal hell summer, and there are a lot of animals outside in my area, so it's just a fact of life in some places.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Ugh we had fleas from our small dog this summer-- we went out of town and my mom noticed she had them, so she bathed the dog in our house.. all I can assume is they fled for their lives and moved to our house. We came home and noticed them immediately. Once they get in your carpet its SO hard to get them gone. They stay dormant as eggs, you have to vacuum a TON. The vibration of the vacuum causes the eggs to hatch. We have a pest service, and called them - they did a special treatment for fleas. Even after the treatment it took a few weeks for them to finally be gone. I know its embarassing, I was mortified.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• make sure you treat your yard too, cause if the fleas are in your yard you will bring them right back into your house after you clean it all up.
    I worked in a vet office and my doc swore by not having to use insecticides. Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum. Then immediately dispose of the bag.
    Good luck they are hard bugger to get rid of.........start in your daughters room first.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 1:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• one of two things happened you could of had them from a previous pet or you bought them in from your shoes. to get rid of them you can take a piece of a flea collar put it in your vacume and vacume it up. after immeditely throw the bag out
    bobbys4eva

Answer by bobbys4eva at 6:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2008