What would be your reaction? adult content

If your child came to you and told you he/she was gay? Or you found out that he/she was gay? What would you do? Say? How would you react? Would you think badly of them? Would you deny it and try to convince them they were not?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• I would support my child.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't be happy quite honestly but there isn't anything my children can say to me that would ever make me treat them differently. I would let them know that and make sure they know I still love them no matter what. Luckily I have 3 kids so if one is gay I still have two more chances for grand kids.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I love my child and accept her for who she is. Why would I love her less if she was gay? I'm glad that she is not, but would still love her no matter what. That's what parents are supposed to do.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• well, i would not agree with it. however, i love my kids and if that is what they want i would support them and love them anyways. a mothers love should be unconditional no matter what...but i would be sad at the same time because i eventually want grand kids. :)
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 4:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i would accept them for who they are an still love them
    quetta669

Answer by quetta669 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would not think badly of them. It would not change how I felt about them one bit. There is no way I would try to convince them they were not. Hopefully they would be able to come to me and talk honestly about it and not feel they couldn't
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• that is a hard one I would take my child somewhere to get help .....yes i would try to convince my child that its not an option
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 4:49 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Me personally.

My reaction to my son being gay would be the exact same as my reaction to my son being straight. His sexuality is his. It is nothing for me to react to. Being gay is no different being straight in my eyes.. it just "is". If I wouldn't have an adverse reaction to my son being straight, I can't imagine why I would have an adverse reaction to him being gay.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I already had this happen to me kind of. She told us she is bi-sexual. What I did? Nothing, did not matter. The only thing I really said was. I guess you will not be having any stay overs at a girlfriends house any more. 

Answer by louise2 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Honestly. I would tell them that I don't believe that its right but given that they are my child I still love them unconditionaly. Many won't agree but if you come to visit don't bring that other person. Thats just the way it is in my house.

I have "friends" that are bi and gay but I don't hang out with them.

Just the way I believe. Just the way it is.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 26, 2011