Does anyone know how many calories a day a 15 month old should eat?

I can't find anything by googling.

My daughter is 15 months and the only real meal she eats in a day is dinner. Mostly during the day she snacks every 2 or 3 hours. I try making her lunches but she never eats very much. She usually shares a bowl of cereal with me in the morning. Every now and then she has days where she eats 3 full meals plus snacks, but they are few and far between.

Here is a typical day:

5 or 6 table spoons of cereal with milk (usually cheerio's)
an hour or so later a banana or a cup of yogurt
a couple hours later some arrow root cookies (2 or 3)
at lunch 8oz of whole milk and maybe two bites of a sandwich and 1 or 2 chips.
an hour or 2 later half a container of apple sauce or oatmeal
then for dinner maybe a quarter of a cup of whatever I made. (always includes a veggie)
And 8 more oz of milk with dinner.
Other than milk she really only drinks water

Is she eating enough?? She is very skinny. her doctor is not concerned but I feel like she should put on a little weight. I don't want to over feed her though : )

Anon344

Asked by Anon344 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to google "what should a toddler eat" and "toddler serving sizes" to give you some other ideas of what is normal. Just remember, the recommendations are averages. Every kid is different and every day/week is different with toddlers. And with toddler pickiness.. well, lots of kids survived to grow into adults even though they wouldn't eat their veggies. Really, what matters is that she gets offered varied and healthful foods during meals and snacks (3 meals, 2 snacks is typical) and she gets to eat as much as wants (within reason). No healthy, normal kid ever starved with a kitchen full of food.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• to me its sounds like shes only eating a few bites here and there. Not really a full meal. So if you come to look at it shes not really eating much. Try maybe giving her her own bowl of cereal in the morning or something heavier like a bowl of oatmeal with a fruit or eggs with bread milk and/or juice. Lunch half PB&J sandwich or grilled cheese sandwich. Dinner i think a little more then a quarter would sound good. Snacks in between are ok as long as the amount isnt much. Maybe the snacks in between are to close to meals times so when meal time comes around she really isnt hungry. Give her time in between to allow her to get a little hungry. Always keeping in mind the balance in her meals. When shes hungry she should be able to let you know one way or another. That is the time to take full advantage of your child and food. Also keep in mind that all kids go into a phase of not eating or becoming more favorable to certain foods
    cantmoveon

Answer by cantmoveon at 5:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I understand it's hard not to worry when she's so little, but it sounds like you've got a good eater on your hands! Congrats! Yeah, they take teeny tiny bits of food at each sitting. It's normal. Look at how small they are! What matters is that she's consistently growing (no dramatic changes - her doctor should keep an eye on this with you), and is happy and energetic. Try not to worry about the actual percents or to count calories, and definitely don't compare her to other kids. Just continue to offer her healthy foods at scheduled intervals and let her decide how much of it to eat. And enjoy the fact that you don't have to worry about her eating habits!!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sounds like alot to me. My son didn't even eat that much cause he was so picky. you have to remember their tummies are very tiny.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 5:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Look at height and weight charts to see the range of what normal is for her age. Make sure everything she eats is healthy. If she is happy & active I wouldn't worry.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• She really isn't picky she will eat anything! she just doesn't eat very much at a time. She is average for height but only in the 10th percentile for weight. but she has been in the 20th percentile or less for weight since birth.
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• neebug - her pediatrician already said she is not concerned about her weight. Where do you get 1300 calories a day? An adult shouldn't even eat that much!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 5:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think 1300 calories sounds like a lot too. But I have no idea what is right.. which is why I asked the question.
    Anon344

Comment by Anon344 (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• She should be eating about 1300 calories per day. From the diet you have given above, I would say that you need to increase her calorie intake. Realize that toddlers can be picky eaters and try new things. If she still is not gaining weight, you can use a nutrition supplement. Talk to your pediatrician about recommending a supplement (like Boost).
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2011