8 month old constantly screaming

I run an in home childcare and Im currently at capacity. A couple weeks ago a new 8 month old started. I can't hold him all the time because I care for other children and have to decide my attention. He cries constantly if I move out of his sight or put him down. I'm sure it will get better I'm just at a loss. I sit by him and show him toys and when I have to ge up or tend to other children I remind him I'm here still but he cries for hours on end. His mom understands I can't hold him and that he needs to learn but I dint kno what else to do. He won't let anyone else hold him either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try getting a sling or a carrier to put him in. That way he is close to you but you still have your hands free for the other kids. It just may be something as simple as seperation anxiety which he will outgrow. Is he like that at home with his parents?
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 5:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• sounds like his mom probably holds him all day long when she has him your just gonna have to let him get use to not being held and he will eventually calm down im sorry
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 5:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• This is the settling time. Daycare is tough for a baby. They should get one-to-one attention. I don't believe in daycare for under two year-olds. But loads of parents don't have other choice. You can't really do anything. He will get used to it. Make sure he gets enough attention. The parents can give him a comforting toy (it makes a child feel safe, like a cuddly toy or something from mommy or represent mummy while she is not there.) Binkie does the same but I've never recommended to use that thing for anyone. You can't really do anything until he will get through on the settling period but hold him, show to him you are there and talk to the parents about the comforting toy. I know anyone heart can break for a child who is in the settling period. But he will get used to it in two or three months. Hugs.:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 5:06 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Ehh.. I couldn't deal with that 1. not being my child and 2. other children need your attention too. Maybe the mother can come stay a few hours some day to get him more comfortable. I dunno..
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 5:12 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sounds like his mom holds him all the time. Im not sure what u can do other then invest in a carrier of some type or a wrap.
    nikkik526

Answer by nikkik526 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 26, 2011