Would you wanna know?

Whether you were comfortable with your childs teacher or not....Would you be ok with them posting pics of them on their FB page without permission?? My dds teacher does this and has not asked for permission. It does not bother me but those that done have an account have no idea about it. (assuming) What if it was your friend or family member? Do you have the right to know and give permission to have your childs pics on the internet? Even if its just FB?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think its legal, I'm pretty sure teachers have to have consent from a parent to even take a picture of a minor let alone post them. I'm shocked the teacher hasn't suffered serious consequences. I'd be very upset. I have pictures of my child on my facebook but the only people who can see said pictures are people I know in real life. I don't know who that teacher is friends with and I don't know what her privacy settings are when it comes to pictures, and therefore I wouldn't want my child's picture posted anywhere on her page. You're nice, if it were my child I'd be in the schools office faster then you could blink demanding they come down. My district doesn't even allow me to friend parents on facebook, and if I took a picture of children without permission, and then posted them on facebook, I'd be fired on the spot.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would not be happy about that and would ask that they be removed. I think permission should have been asked.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:08 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't like it at all.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would be upset and would have a chat with her.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I would not be happy at all, I would want to be made aware of it then be friends with the teacher so i can see what she is posting.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 5:09 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I ask this too because I was not allowed to take pics of dd when she took a gymnastics class (in CA) without the parents permission. Thats obvi if their child was in the shot. The teacher said that they didnt want the pics ending up on another parents social network page without the other parents permission.

What if you are hiding from a dead beat/abusive parent and the find you via FB?
    Just asking to see if this is maybe why permission is reccomended. (other than pedophiles)
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• YES!!!! That would upset me very much. I don't think anyone should post picture's of my child on the internet but me!! And if they want to they should most definitely ask my permission. that just how I feel though if you are ok with it that is how you feel : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Yes it would bother me. The school sends out permission slips asking parents if they want their children on the website or not. I have said no. I just asked my son if his teacher takes pictures of the class and he said she does not. I don't believe they have the right to do this. She needs to ask the parents permission for this. Posting pics of other people's children on the internet is wrong.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 5:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• She should have asked. I understand that it may be innocent enough because it's her class but some parents may not be okay with that.
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• She gives all parents her FB name and tells us to feel free to request her. However pics were not mentioned. She gave it to us saying that we could check reminders for school events or contact her. I personally love it because I have so many great pics of dd in action at school that I can not take. But I feel permission is def necessary. If not just to save her own ass
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Jan. 26, 2011