How do I get him to care about school?

So my SS is 12 and in 7th grade. I just found out that he is failing 4 classes. Math, Science, Language Arts, and Social Studies. It's not that he can't learn the material, it's just that he's not doing the work, and not turning in his assignments. He just doesn't seem to care. How can I get through to him that without an education he's going to struggle the rest of his life? I was thinking about making him write me a 3 page essay about where he expects to be 10 years from now, and what he's going to do to get there. Is that a good idea? All advice is welcomed!! Thanks Ladies!

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 1:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• One possibility is that he is overwhelmed with all the work. Not sure if your Junior High if 6,7,8 or just 7,8 grades, but that first year can be tough (multiple classes, teachers, lockers, etc.). If he's overwhelmed, he may just be saying to himself "screw it: I can;t do it all so I'm not going to do anything". Maybe you can help him learn how to break it down into manageable chunks.

Then there's always the consequence approach: does he play games, watch tv, play sports, stuff like that? You can make him earn it by doing his homework, (finish today's homework = X hours/minutes on the computer/watching tv/visiting friends/whatever).

Good luck!
    MamasHarley

Answer by MamasHarley at 3:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• TELL HIM U WANT HIM 2 BE SOMETHING IN LIFE WHEN HES OLDER. U DONT WANT HIM ON THE SIDE ON THE DIGGING IN A TRASH CAN LOOKING 4 SUPPORT. WHEN UR LONG GONE NOT THERE 2 TAKE CARE OF HIM AND FAM WILL NOT WANT 2 DEAL WITH HIM.
    desi-boo

Answer by desi-boo at 9:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I agree with the 3 page essay actually, it might make him even write down what is bothering him, you might even see that he just has a bad attidute, whatever the case may be, you'll gain more insight. I am having this problem with my 4th grade son and have actually pondered the thought of making him read book and give me an essay or even steal your idea!!!!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I had the same problem with my son all through middle school we tried everything nothing worked He is now a freshman in highschool and he wanted to join JRROTC and this has been his modavator(sp) he is getting A 's and B's and is part of the color guard and the honor guard. I would just talk with him find out his intersets and incourge him to go after what he wants
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Talking to him about the future can't hurt, but it won't necessarily do much good either. He is a child. He cannot comprehend future consequences. To him being an adult is so far away. Are there any activities that he enjoys that can be linked to grades? Sports or something? I know my son turned around when he started playing sports at school. They have the No Pass No Play law here.
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 4:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2008