Going to jail to get your children a quality education. What do you think moms?

Edward Williams, 64, of Copley, says he chose to let his grandchildren live with him because he was concerned about them being alone at their mother’s house in Akron.

“She had 12 police reports that her house had been broken in, so what am I supposed to do? Just leave them there?” Williams said, outside his Black Pond Road Home on Wednesday. “I mean, I can protect them better if they was with me.”

The children’s mother, Kelley Williams-Bolar, worked for the Akron City School District and attended classes at the University of Akron. Her father says he felt there was nothing wrong with allowing the kids to stay with him and attend classes in the Copley-Fairlawn School District.

In building their case against Williams-Bolar, the district spent $6,000 hiring a private investigator who followed her and her children between the two houses and school. Poe believes the false claim cost the district an estimated $30,000 in tuition and could have cost tens of thousands more if they had not pursued it.

He believes their investigation was money well spent.

Because the district is predominantly white, and Williams-Bolar is black, some in the area believe there are racial undertones to the district’s motives.

Poe denies that saying, “Regardless of a family’s background, if they live in the Copley-Fairlawn School District, they will be welcomed into the schools with open arms.”

Summit County Common Pleas Judge Patricia Cosgrove sentenced Williams-Bolar to 10 days in the Summit County Jail for the two charges, both of which are felonies.

The mother was also going to school to be a teacher to help give her children a better life. She was only 12 credits away, now charged with felonies, potential career is in jeopardy.

What do you all think about this? Should the district have invested as much time and money as they had to have her investigated?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 5:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I heard this story this morning and it's not a new story, it's been going on since 08. It sickens me how screwed up our system is. Look at all the tax money they spent. Who wins in this situation?!?! No one!!
    jen2774161

Answer by jen2774161 at 5:24 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• The parts that got left out were that they really weren't living with the grandfather, she admitted the only stayed there sometimes and that she had her father falsify court documents when she got found out and got in even more trouble for that. I had sympathy until I read that. If you do that to court documents, you can count on going to jail.
    Anonymous

• There is a thread already going about this; the story posted in your post seems to be an edited version. This woman was one of 100 families investigated, all of the other families either paid the fine and de-enrolled their kids, or paid the tuition to have their children continue. Her kids were not living with her father. She had been lying and falsifying school and court documents for 4 years. The judge wrote into her judgment that this lady should be able to get her teaching certification.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• May - IMO, this woman (alone, I don't believe there is any class-action case pending) is trying to make this a racial case; I really don't believe it is. This woman had custody of the children, they lived with her (in a different district), and they occasionally stayed with the grandfather. She and the grandfather lied to the school and on court documents. I can't feel bad for her - she knew what she was doing was illegal.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:54 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• yeah when i read this post i did not see what the heck she was going to jail for, but since she was falsifying documents yeah i think she should do some time, mandatory volunteer work at least. i do feel bad for her since she was so close to getting her teaching degree, but with certain professions you really need to keep your nose clean
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Sounds like she got what she asked for she should have moved or sent them to the district school, people have to do it every day, she's not special.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• If only Williams-Bolar had access to vouchers.....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• There are rules to why you go to your own district school. And my DD did not attend the elementary school of my choice, but she has a good education.
    But I would have let it go if I was in charge and not tell anyone.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 5:28 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I didn't mean to imply that it was you that edited the article, OP - only that it was a different version than what was on the national news. Sorry for the confusion.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• We moved into a top 5 school in our STATE before my kids are even old enough to attend. '

oh, bully for you. not everyone can afford to live in the best districts.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011