Who is happy pregnant & then depressed when baby comes?

This is how I was with my first. I was so happy pregnant, happier pregnant than not pregnant. And then a couple of days after the baby was born I got depressed and cried for no reason. It lasted a couple of weeks. I keep hearing it is worse when you have your 2nd and my 2nd is due in Aug.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that sounds more like baby blues or post partum dep. not uncommon and it does not necessarily mean you will get with your second. I was a sick pregnant person but LOVED being pregnant and like you, felt at my happiest.. I ended up with PPD and a colicky child which made me very depressed.. I wish you luck.. hope all goes well
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• It lasted a week for me and was the worst feeling in the world. I dont want to be medicated for long but will talk to my dr about it when I have my second
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• i think you only had the 'baby blues' as opposed to postpartum depression. it happens to the best of us and its nothing to be ashamed of
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was told it was baby blues but I had horrible thoughts. Thoughts that would go with PPP. But after a week I was fine. It was scary though
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I was like this- but severe- I was suicidal. I was diagnosed with Post Partum Depression put on Prozac when my second daughter was 2 months old. I was on it for about 8 months. I still have rough days now and then, but nothing like that. DD is now 15 months.
    MyVegasBabies

Answer by MyVegasBabies at 5:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I suffered from Post -Partum Depression which got worse after each pregnancy and was later diagnosed with Chronic depression. I haven't taken any meds for years but I continue to battle with it. Is there any family history? Because all 3 of my kids have been depressed and on meds. So it's good to talk with your doctor about it.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 5:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I think that's pretty normal due to homone changes after birth. This does not in any way make you a bad mom or anything, and yeah it sucks really bad!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• Post partum depression. When you start feeling sad, try to DO things, get out if you can, even for a walk with baby. Talking to people helps too. A therapist, or even just a friend or relative. Breastfeeding helps prevent PPD, or make it less severe. These suggestions are all for MILD depression. If it gets to be more then just a little sad, SEE YOUR DOCTOR, you might need medication.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I had PDD with both my children and It was worse with my first. In fact I wish I had asked for help. With my second I was aware of my feelings and able to reach out for help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:39 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• My first pregnancy I wasnt happy at all, but was really happy afterwards. My second I was extremely happy while pregnant, but afterwards I got PPD so bad I wound up in the hospital for a week. With my third I was happy and fine afterwards. With my last I was on antidepressants because I had had a prior miscarriage, and my husband deployed when I was 34 weeks so I stayed on it to avoid PPD. I am pregnant with my fifth and very happy, but staying on my meds to be on the safe side.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 5:45 PM on Jan. 26, 2011