Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

possible to go back to school?

okay, i would love to go to college and become a preschool or kindergarten teacher. right now i am out of work and return in may. i have a husband who works like crazy, even at night, so i'm thinking i would have to do online colleges, because i wouldn't be able to do night classes since i wouldn't have anyone to watch my 4, 2 and 1 year old sons. but i am clueless where to begin. are online colleges actually good? can you get a degree from them and actually get a teaching job? does anyone know if they are if there is anyway of getting assistance on the cost? and are they expensive?

i am clueless where to begin and just keep getting confused when i look online!!!

Answer Question

Asked by sleepymamaof3 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in

Level 7 (207 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • the best thing you can do is just talk to a school about it. You can apply for a pell grant. Those are loans that you dont have to pay back (of course you have to be approved for one). Good luck!

    Answer by SARAHBIGGS1987 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Go to colleges. com they have a bunch of search tools to help you. Take a look at the schools they recommend and pick which ones you like then request info and usually a guidance counselor will call and talk to you if you want them too. Good luck !!

    Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Oh and they will help you with financial aid too, there are grants out there that you can get and don't have to pay back.

    Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Try your local colleges and universities first, many offer online classes. I would be really careful of strictly on-line colleges (University of Phoenix, etc.) they have received a lot of attention for charging extremely high tuition, and many aren't even accredited.

    Answer by Scuba at 5:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • My suggestion would be to go to your local community college and talk to them. Figure out what degree programs they have that offer online classes and start there. Fill out a FAFSA after you do your taxes (to see if you qualify for financial aid, like a pell grant) and all that stuff and apply for your CC. There are usually people there who can help you fill things out, register, etc. Tuition is probably a lot less at a CC, also, and some offer distance learning programs from state universities through their own online classes (if that makes sense... like here at my CC, in VA, they offer classes from several VA institutions so you don't have to travel for books, tests, etc.).

    Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Go to your community college take your placement test apply for your pell grant and sign up for on-line classes they should help you with any questions i am back in school after 26 years and i love it

    Answer by peace013 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • yes, to become a medical coder

    Answer by emarin77 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • If you have self discipline, you can be successful with online classes.

    Answer by tasches at 6:16 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • I am in the early childhood education program in Oregon right now. What I can tell you is... that getting this degree is ALOT of hands on work. The majority of my classes are lab classes where I work in the pre school they have at the college. I am sure that some of the classes you need, like child development that are lecture you can take online courses, but I feel like you would have to take some courses that are not online. It really depends on your state and what the requirements are. Also, some college campuses have a free day care program for students, you could look into that as well. I know a few people who have done online school...and they all said it got them absolutly nowhere. I wish you the best of luck! Gettting back into school and following your dreams is SO rewarding!!

    Answer by Tarrar at 6:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

  • Contact your local community or technial college and see if the classes are offered online. Some classes may have to be taken in the classroom and you can get financial aid from the college.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.