telescope for a 6 yr old

My daughter wants a "spying scope" for Christmas so she can see the planets because they're very far away...lol. We think we've found one, but wanted to see if anyone else had one for their kid when they were that young and how they like it? She wants to be an astronaut. Its all she talks about since learning about the planets last SPRING! I thought she would've lost interest by now, but shes still really into it. Oh, she also wants a "big book of space". Any ideas on that one?

rosesNclovers

Asked by rosesNclovers at 1:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was surprised nobody answered this. My mom bought my (then 5, now 6) stepson a really cheap-o one last year as part of a science kit. He ignored it for a year, but now he LOVES it and wants to take it everywhere.

Even if it's just a phase, it's a pretty awesome phase to encourage, ya know? :)

PS: a great stocking stuffer (if you celebrate christmas) would be those glow-in-the-dark stars you can put on the ceiling in the form of different constellations)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I like these Eyewitness books - good for lots of different topics:

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Exploration-DK-Eyewitness-Books/dp/0756607310/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226721183&sr=1-9

I asked for a telescope when I was 7 or 8 but the cheapie telescope I asked for (and got) wasn't that great and I lost interest.
    Anonymous

• we bought this one last year for our 5 yr old http://www.telescopes.com/telescopes/reflecting-telescopes/celestronastromaster114eqreflector.cfm it is a really awesome telescope, does take some time and patience to figure it out but its a good investment bc it will last you for a long time, good luck
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 12:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My little brother got one when he was 5! He loved it he is now 10 and still loves it
    gracie43008

Answer by gracie43008 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• thanks guys!
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 1:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2008