Docotrs Mistake?

At my first doctors appointment I was measuring 3 weeks further along than what I was according to my last missed period. The Doctor sent me right away(at16 weeks) for an ultrasound to see if maybe I was having twins..there was only 1 baby. He then determined that I was only 16 weeks and that I should just watch my diet very closely bc I have a very small build and didn't need to gain much weight. I think that I am fruther along than what my doctor has been telling me and that I will be having the baby anytime now. Does anyone think this is possible, that I really could be 3 weeks further along or am I just wishful thinking?? According to my doctor I am 36 weeeks right now.

patientlyw8ing

Asked by patientlyw8ing at 1:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I doubt a doctor would lie to you. I felt the same way at some times, but it was all wishful thinking! No worries though, you'll have that baby soon enough!
    Anonymous

• HONESTLY PROBABLY WISHFUL THINKING. I WAS ORIGINALLY TOLD I WAS 5 WEEKS FURTHER ALONG THAN I REALLY AM. IT SUCKS, ITS POSSIBLE YOU ARE FURTHER BUT PROBABLY JUST HOPING.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 1:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Its has happen.BUt now that you have ultra sounds.Not often.I had my kids almost to the date of the ultrasound date given.one was four days early.
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• With my 2nd pregnancy the doctor insisted I was 2 weeks less pregnant then I was- after a while I just let him think that- lol- my DD was born 3 weeks early at 7lbs 4 oz- what do you think? Sound like she was 3 weeks early : ) Don't worry baby will come when baby is ready & yes, doctors can be wrong- and yes, doctors are usually right : ) Just keep taking care of you & baby..the last month is the longest month- use your time to prepare to meet your little one!
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 2:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• yes doctors can be wrong. the measurements they go on are just estimates.

with my son, they kept giving me a due date that I knew was not right. My periods were always very regular and I just KNEW he would be born on the full moon (period always came with full moon, first baby born on full moon) and he was born then. full term, no health problems, 7 lb 3 oz. according to the doc, I was only 37 weeks.
    Anonymous

• This is all very interesting,doctors can only make an educated estimate when they examine you,measure your cervix,and see that ultrasound. Just doing one isn't that accurate doctors know that we women have different shapes and sizes. All pregnant women couldn't possibly have the same measurement but they do have a average for the baby. I am smaller than the average woman at 9 months. but my doctor which I did get later prenatal care has been a ob/gyn for 27 years he knew how far I was when I first seen him.
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 3:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I am 31 weeks preggo with my 2nd baby and my first ultrasound (8 weeks) he was measuring right along with the dates. The 2nd ultrasound (18 or so weeks) my baby was measuring 1 week larger than he should that matched up with my due date. The 3rd ultrasound (29 weeks) just said that my baby is now measuring 2 weeks bigger than he should and my due date would be 2 weeks sooner! But they will not change the due date even though he is bigger and could have been wrong on the dates in the first place. They stick with the first date you give them in the begining of your period because your baby could just be a big baby. So just prepare early and be ready just incase the dates are wrong...and if not...prepare for a larger baby like I am! haha
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Well, my twins were born at 36 weeks, weighting 5 lbs 6 oz and 7 lbs 7 1/2 oz. And technically 36 weeks is premature. I was absolutely positive about my dates. I kept it on my calender in my computer. Each month, I would get my period I'd mark it on the calender and then I'd do a "repeat this event" thing for 28 days later, so I know my cycle was perfect on my calender. The measuring is just approximate. Don't let him intimidate you.
    katythemm

Answer by katythemm at 5:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• There are no certainties with pregnancy, but he has been trained to know what to look for at certain stages. Trust in the doctor as much as you can, especially at this far along.
    OmsYankeeMama

Answer by OmsYankeeMama at 10:54 AM on Nov. 16, 2008