How closely do you monitor your teen's social networking activity?

What have you found most effective in helping your teens safely interact through facebook and texting? Thank you.

terbear5

Asked by terbear5 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 26, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• ~*Honestly*~... we have a 15 year old, 5 year old, and 3 year old... and we ban them all from social networking! When my children are at school they have that life, and home life is is kept seperate... and we talk to them openly, such as pictures and messages they put out there DO NOT go away! They are kept away from cyber bullying! They don't have to learn to be 2 faced... in other words profile is one thing and RL is another! And the list goes on...

However I have been hearing commercials for "Social Shield" to help parents monitor kids online beyond "befriending" them??? To be able to see the private messages and so forth from any computer
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I don't have teens at this point. My bio kids are all to young for that stuff. But I had a teen "foster" a few years back and I never "monitored" their online activity, I don't see a point in it. If they know you are doing it they will just find away around it & if they don't know you're doing it they it will break the trust when they find out... Either way it's not worth doing. Let them know what you expect from them and why and trust them to do what they are supposed to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:00 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I have my sons login and password for his Facebook and email, I check both regularly. I am also friends on his FB, along with a lot of my friends and family members. He has also been talked to about what to post or not post, what he should tell me about. I have deleted his friends for how they were acting and talking.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2011

• I do the same as tyfry...I am friends with my boys as well as family on FB and have their login/passwords (they weren't allowed to have accounts if I don't have access). When they first opened their accounts I monitored friend requests and even now they will still ask occassionally if its okay to accept a certain person. I do go in and delete friends that are inappropriate or do things I deem inappropriate. As far as texting I just pick up the phone and look, I pay for it, I'm allowed to know what's on it. It's fairly simply in my house, you don't have privacy when your safety is involved
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thanks for the replies. So far, what I am doing with my 3 closely resembles blessed with boys response. They don't have phones yet though my daughter is now using an apptp text on her iPod. I have gone on and deleted posts I find inappropriate, and they are friends with myself and family members but I do realize they can block things and get around things. My daughter was sneaky and lost her privileges a few times before she realized we were serious about the rules and she is now very open. It does take a lot of awareness and at some point I realize I have to trus
    terbear5

Comment by terbear5 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• *trust that what we are teaching is sinking in. Safety and respect are the main priorities for us. (sorry for the spelling mistake and double post, I accidentally hit post and am not sure how to get on to edit).
    terbear5

Comment by terbear5 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You might want to check out this article - great tips and yes, it's a good idea to know what your teens are doing online. http://www.internetsafetyproject.org/blog/cyber-tips-from-a-juvenile-court-judge/
    NatalieC25

Answer by NatalieC25 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 30, 2011